If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coming off universal credit

Options
15burritos
15burritos Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I want to come off universal credit to live with my partner. What do I write in my journal? I will still need to claim my PIP but I want to go abroad for 2 months for therapy. What should I write?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can just close your claim by requesting a change of circumstances. However, living with a partner doesn’t mean there’s no entitlement to UC. It will depend on your joint circumstances. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.

If you do go abroad for longer than 1 month then your UC will end unless it’s for medical treatment but it will depend on what medical treatment you have. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 15burritos
    Options
    My partner earns a lot so they wouldn't put in a claim. My experience on universal credit was so unpleasant so I hope to close it and not go back, however I shall need to keep my PIP
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PIP is not affected because it's not means tested. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 15burritos
    Options
    Okay, the UC team wont contact me once I come off it? I think my partner and I will move to a new country but I need to keep pip whilst i pick up new hours from my new job.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, not unless you owe them money. If you go abroad permanently then your PIP will end after 13 weeks. https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/disability-benefits

You must report the changes to PIP. 
  • 15burritos
    Options
    Okay great thank you for your help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.