If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No Mow May 2024

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team

Did you know there's a movement in the UK where you don't have to mow your lawn for the whole of May? I know right?  It seems weird that you can be helping wildlife by not doing something, but it's true, No Mow May is real!

With green spaces shrinking every year, the UKs native wildlife is struggling. But to help counter this, people and councils are pledging not to mow their laws for the whole of May, which helps give wildlife a real chance to thrive. The extra greenery will even help reduce local temperatures and lock away atmospheric carbon.

Even one month can make a huge difference for these amazing mini jungles, they're amazing ecosystems that we tend to take for granted. If you can manage to only mow your lawn once a month for the rest of the summer, you'll be giving many plants and native fauna a chance to spread, which will give the birds and the bees more to feed on. It's a win win!

Will you be taking part this year? Let me know. :) 
Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I over seeded my lawn a few weeks ago and because it's been rather cold it's quite slow at germinating. It is growing by quite patchy in places so I may have to put more seed down.. the joys of gardening. Due to that I don't have anything to cut at the moment lol so it looks like I will likely be part of the "no mow." not that I've ever heard of it before. 

Where is Spring I ask myself.  :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Haha, the joys of seeding the lawn, I know it very well! I found one of those little spiky rollers really helped for getting the seeds to germinate. :)

I think Spring is today and tomorrow? Then we jump straight into Autumn.
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,791 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I saw this being talked about on the TV @Albus_Scope I might just loose the dog if I do not mow the lawn for a month.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Put a big flag on the dog, you'll be able to find them then @Beaver79 :D 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,484 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Our council have been doing this a few years now, I have mowed my lawns because the grass was very long, but council won't do the green spaces until June.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Our council has beaten you all to it I think as they have adopted this philosophy all year round for the last 15 years

My Grandmother has an artificial lawn, she didn't have it put there, the house came with it, but I don't really like it. Apart from the fact I don't like how it looks or feels, I don't understand why I can't have a drinking straw that works properly the couple of times a year I have a McDonald's but people can rip up their entire lawn and replace it with a plastic one???

I think this is a nice really idea though, I always have really liked more natural looking gardens than formal/manicured ones!! :) 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,484 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not a fan of artificial grass either, it's very slippy when it's wet and it's not good for wildlife
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Its a great idea, shame we had our lawns ripped out and flagged 2 weeks ago, but we have planted wild seeds in parts of the garden to attract bees and butterflies

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.