If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Non-alcoholic beer

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,983 Disability Gamechanger
Does anyone have any experience? Can anyone recommend some good ones?

I've managed to drastically cut my alcohol for over 3 months now but sometimes I kind of miss the taste of beer (not the effects) and was looking at the alcohol free beers in the supermarket and wondered whether it's worth a try?

I'm aware that by law anything under 0.5% ABV is considered alcohol-free but I'd rather something that was completely 0% if possible, because a couple of pints of 0.5% is still half a unit of alcohol

My Dad just says it's nasty but he tried it in the 80s and never tried it again. While I am in no position to disagree that it probably wasn't nice in the 80s I am guessing there has been some innovation and improvement since then and maybe there are some good ones now??

Looking forward to hearing anyone's experience :smiley:

Comments

• michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 350 Pioneering
    Options
    not being a drinker cant help you how about a wine gum in a pint of water save a fortune 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Ha ha
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,706 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you tried the 0% alcohol Guinness? I actually really like it. I thought it'd taste horrible. I know there are several alcohol free ciders doing the rounds too which are surprisingly nice. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options
    I agree with the Guinness, I tried it in a pub and it's quite good. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,995 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've heard people say it's improved masssssively in the last 5-10 years, but don't have any specific recommendations @66Mustang and it probably depends what sort of beers you like generally, but that's such an amazing thing to do!

I don't really drink but occasionally order Desperados and have had their zero alcohol version substituted a few times and I couldn't really tell the different. 

I've also tried Nogne Milk Stout and Corona Cero, and both at least tastes like beer but I've no idea if you'd like them or what you're after!!:D 
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 770 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As someone who drank 10 cans of Stella Artois a night for too many years.  Stay away from the Stella zero ... most disappointing taste

Ghost Ship, Doom Bar are good ales.  Peroni is a good lager.  My go to now on a Saturday night is Aldi's pilsner zero, £2.99 for 6 ... Home Bargains do a good big bottle for 89p.  Heineken isn't bad.

All down to your own palate I guess ... worst I've tasted is Brew Dog.  Uck.  Never drank cats pee but i should imagine it's not much worse.  weird tang and after taste

The day Newcastle Brown do a zero ... I'll be moonwalking down the aisle.  For 20 metres  :p
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options
    I've been trying to remember the non alcoholic drink I used to have in pubs in the 1980's when I passed my driving test.
    I'm sure it was called Kaliber, and it really wasn't very nice. 
    I just drank cola or lemonade when driving after some of those.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments!!! 

I guess it would have been useful if I said what beer I like :D 

I tend to prefer hoppy traditional beers, mostly bitters but I like an IPA as well. Not so much into like fizzy lagers. Stout is not my favourite but I would drink a super cold Guinness...I'm not so keen on the new wave of craft beers but there are a couple I like (Neck Oil IPA is one)

I'll have another look next time I go to a shop :blush:
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,706 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Make sure you let us know how you get on in your search @66Mustang I know I'm always on the look out for new tasty drinks. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,115 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SM enjoyed Eisberg alcohol free wine they do it in red, white and rose its around £3.50 a bottle, she does say you really cant tell the difference as for non alcoholic beer sorry cant help.

2024 Election won

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @woodbine

I can well believe that because the thing with wine is even in a £5 bottle about £4 of it is tax (in a £10 bottle about £6 is tax so the wine is 4 times as "good" if that makes sense) so a £3.50 bottle of 0% wine when you remember you aren't paying any alcohol tax is the equivalent of paying like £9 or £10 which would get you a half decent bottle of wine :smiley: 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Just to add that's one reason I think non-alcohol "spirits" are overpriced

A £20 bottle of gin like £12 of that is alcohol duty, so why is a 0% gin £20 as well, it should be £8 to buy as you don't have to pay the tax?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,791 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't really drink either very accasionally will I have a drink. Its usually an Irish coffee if I do, I would expect the non alcoholic drinks would of improved massively since the 80s
  • SueL
    SueL Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    I too like Guinness Zero. I also like Becks Blue, very refreshing. I tried an alcohol free prosecco too a few weeks back but can't remember what it was! 
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 770 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are some really nice ones, some really nasty ones ... but whichever, compared to alcoholic lager/ale, the zero goes straight through me.  I have 3 or 4 bottles of a Saturday night and I swear I spend an hour of my 2 hours peace in the toilet  :/
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.