If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Couples SDP and calculation check please

Options
Moonlady
Moonlady Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
We are a mixed age couple.
My older partner has just reached state pension age and was on carers allowance for looking after myself,which has stopped now due to the overlapping benefit of SP but still cares for me.

We live as a couple and no other adults and no one else cares or claims CA for us.

I get mixed ESA including Income Related and am in the support group and have DLA high care and low mobility

My partner is now on State Pension and PIP both enhanced rates. We also have HB paid. 

I just want to double check what we should be getting as the last letter was in the transition of getting the state pension. As it was down as single SDP as his carers allowance had not stopped at that time.

ESA couples rate £142.25
Support Group component £47.70 
SDP couples £163.00
Carers Premium £45.60 
Pensioner Premium £143.00

EQUALS £541.55

MINUS his SP of £ 221.20

Equals  £320.35

I can not remember what the enhanced disability premium is for and why we would have it, if we would be eligible or not ? Ive had a quick look and seems we would be eligible for that as well, just want to confirm before I do phone calls. I think that is £29.75 a week. Just whilst I phone up, if we are eligible will mention it

I know now that we should have the SDP at couples rate now .....so I assume I just phone the ESA dept and request that ?  Would I have to fill in another ESA3 you think for that as that was so time intensive and suspended our HB for a long time?

Any help grateful,hoping this is it until we have any major change of circumstances or move to another council.

Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,120 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If that’s their calculation then it says you’re already claiming couples SDP because that is now £82.50/week/single person. £163/week couples. 

Although carers allowance can no longer be paid your partner still has an underlying entitlement to it so will also be entitled to carers premium. An underlying entitlement does not affect entitlement to SDP.

You are correct and it doesn’t seem like the EDP is included in that calculation, yes it’s £29.75/week. This should automatically be paid when in the Support Group claiming Income Related. 

You will need to ring ESA. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Moonlady
    Options
    Many thanks poppy13456 for your comment and checking the calculations. No that's not what they are paying at the moment, they are paying the single SDP. My partner has just turned 66 and come off CA. These are the calculations I thought it should be from other sources/information. I have only been on the IR quite recently, it took ages from Feb to sort out. I looked back at some letters is EDP also called Disability Income Guarantee ? As they had paid me that in March but it seems on my newer letter from early April, that has not been included for some reason. I wish in the letters they called it correct technical terms and also use the phrases they use I will phone in the next couple of days regarding the Couples SDP and also about the EDP Thanks for your help as ever
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome. Yes EDP is always referred to as Disability Income Guarantee in ESA letters, I have no idea why. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Moonlady
    Options
    Thanks again poppy123456
    I always appreciate your help and am very grateful 

• poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome.
  • Moonlady
    Options
     I am on the phone at the moment ....

II have just found this 
    You are not eligible for Enhanced Disability Premium if you or your partner are receiving Pensioner Premium.

Pensioner Premium is more than Enhanced Disability Premium

So would that cancel that out as such as we get the Pensioner Premium please

• Moonlady
    Options
    Just off the phone....seems as though they are still taking Carers Allowance off our money even though we do not get it now, as it is an overlapping benefit for his SP. She said to phone CA and ask them to CLOSE the claim totally.
    Then that would go on the system. Then we would be able to do the couple SDP.

If we CLOSE the CA and he still cares for me, I assume we would still get the Carers Premium ok ? 
  • Moonlady
    Options
    I was going to edit what I had written but can not seem to do it
    To be honest I have no faith in the person who answered at the ESA dept, as they told me some information which was totally incorrect. Regarding the couples SDP.

So I want to make sure I take the right step next about the Carers Allowance. 

I do not want to close it without more advice from people. As it could be called something else that I need to do.......

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You are correct about the EDP and looking online I see it's not paid at the same time care Pension Premium. I don't think your partner should end the CA claim due to the underlying entitlement to it.

He should receive a letter saying he has the underlying entitlement. (if he hasn't already) I'd advise you to ring ESA back and remind them (rolls eyes) that he's now claiming state pension so doesn't receive any CA. 
  • Moonlady
    Options
    You are correct about the EDP and looking online I see it's not paid at the same time care Pension Premium. I don't think your partner should end the CA claim due to the underlying entitlement to it.

He should receive a letter saying he has the underlying entitlement. (if he hasn't already) I'd advise you to ring ESA back and remind them (rolls eyes) that he's now claiming state pension so doesn't receive any CA. 
    I only came across that info whilst waiting on hold to ESA and thought I'd ask before I mentioned it to them.

That's what I thought about the CA as well, not to close it.

We had a letter a long while back In Jan (His birthday and SP was in April) stating that he meets the condition of CA but as he will be getting SP they can not pay it it.  It also states in that, re reading it that is being entitled to it helps you get other benefits like Carers Premium. So that must be the letter you are talking about. I don't think they worded as underlying entitlement.

The operator basically said that the CA had to come off the claim before we could do the couple SDP.

Honestly I wish they trained the operators more. 

Do you think I need to contact Carers and mention anything at all, just that it he is entitled on not in payment on the benefit system ?

Funny as ESA take his SP pension off my ESA so they obviously know that as well.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Yes the call centre staff have very little knowledge of benefits, other than to sit there reading from a screen, it's frustrating. 

No, you do not need to ring CA because you have that letter. Just ring ESA and hopefully you will speak to someone a little more helpful. 
  • Moonlady
    Options
    Thanks again Poppy. 
    Honestly I don't think the operator liked the fact I was questioning what she was saying really, I did it in a polite way. If I had listened to her we would have closed the CA loosing the £40 plus a week in Carers Premium. She also disagreed with the fact we could have couples SDP and was adamant that is was only single SDP as my partner was a pensioner. Although he is both high rates on PIP.
    So again that is another chunk of money 

I may write to ESA instead to be honest with all the information and a copy of that CA letter and include all the facts. I will see how I feel next week. I find it stressful and exhausting talking to them when they give me the wrong information and do not listen

Thanks for your help as always
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.