If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Misunderstood LCW for LCWRA

Options
System
System Posts: 126 Scope online community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Applying for work and LCWRA.

Comments

• SueL
    SueL Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    I recently had an assessment and got put in the LCW group. I misunderstood what it meant and as the letter said I don't need anymore fit notes (I have been signed off for weeks by a GP) and I don't need to look for work. I spoke to my Work Coach at the jobcentre last Friday and she said that is incorrect, I do have to look for work but it means they will help me prepare for it and I still have to go in for meetings. In a panic I applied for a job and got offered it, but I am today suffering with my health. If I was doing a shift today I would be ringing in sick. I am supposed to start working in a shop next week and a lot of my shifts will be lone working. It will really mess them about if I have to keep ringing in sick. I don't think I should go ahead with the job now, or any job. Other jobs have ended because of my ongoing health problems. I have just messaged on my Jobcentre journal that I want to be reassessed so I am in LCWRA instead. I spoke to Citizens Advice and they said I can do that. What is the point in me trying to work if I am going to have to keep taking time off? There is no cure for my health issues, and I see hospital doctors twice a year. I am afraid that if I don't look for work and start work, I will get sanctioned. I can't afford to live on my UC as it is. My work coach booked me in at a jobs fair next week too, so how is that preparing me for work? That sounds like pressuring me into it. I am talking to a GP Monday and getting another fit note because I can't go on like this.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,709 Championing
    Options
    Hi @SueL I'm sorry to hear about your work coach, it can feel like they're putting undue pressure on you. But yes, if you're in the LCW group, you are still expected to attend some work related training groups. You can ask for  mandatory reconsideration and ask for your case to be looked at again. If they still say no, then you can ask for it to go to tribunal. which sounds scarier than it actually is.  

Just to let you know, I've made your comment into a new post so people don't get mixed up. I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • SueL
    SueL Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Thank you, Albus. Since I wrote that comment, I rang CAB who said the same as you, to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. They gave me the number of the jobcentre helpline, which I didn't know existed, and i rang them. I was advised that all request must go on the universal credit journal, but not to the work coach. It has to go to a case manager, and I was advised to select a different option other than message for work coach (who still hasn't got back to me) so will see what happens next. As you said, if I still get put in LCW then I can ask for it to go to tribunal and CAB said they will help with that. 
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.