Disabilities Facilities Grant

Cc8 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Advice please!

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience of applying for DFG for mental health? The eligibility requirements for this grant specifically recognises 'a mental health disorder or impairment of any kind' as meeting the criteria to apply.

It also states that the grant can be used to make changes to the current home, or to help move to a more suitable one.

I need both physical/practical and mental health support for my conditions, which would require either a 1-room/toilet extension (to allow for live-in/ overnight support)build, or a move to a new property away from the cause of my current severe mental ill-health.

My conditions and situation are/is well documented and recognised by my medical support team/GP - I am deteriorating rapidly as the home I am in does not meet my serious health needs. I am in receipt of enhanced PIP/HB/ESA and cannot currently work as such.

My mental ill-health is my predominant illness currently, but both conditions fluctuate regularly throughout the year.

I cannot find any good information online about successful applications for DFG based around severe mental illness and wondered if someone here might be able to help, or point me in the right direction at least!

Has anyone been successful with a grant application based on both mental and physical disability? Were adjustments granted, or was support given to move to more suitable accommodation?

Many thanks in advance.


  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,766 Championing

    Hey there @Cc8 and welcome to the community. 😊

    I'm afraid I don't know a great deal about DFGs, but from what I've read online, they do class mental health issues as a disability, so you should be able to claim.

    It'll vary from person to person, so you may have the same condition as someone, but you may need totally different care than them. So your best bet would be to speak to your local council about it. Hopefully someone will be able to give you some of their wisdom here soon.

  • Cc8
    Cc8 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

    Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

    Yes, I have sent an email to my local council as there doesn't seem to be much online. Hopefully I'll get some response next week.

    It would be interesting to know 'how' this grant is used to support people in my situation - I imagine it's not an easy application process either, but if eligible, I intend to apply.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,304 Championing

    You will need to refer yourself for a needs assessment first as part of the process. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

    The DFG will not help with costs when moving to a different property. https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants