If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Home Help Advice

Options
ifonlythelonely
ifonlythelonely Community member Posts: 26 Connected

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on home help for my dad please? Is there any available Government free service where carers will come in for 30 minutes to an hour a day? My dad doesn't need huge care right now but taking the big wheelie bin out etc is too much for him now. There are a few other jobs which are just too much as well.

I'm just testing the water to see what is out there.

Thanks 😀

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,256 Championing
    Options

You can refer him for a needs assessment from his Local Authority. There maybe waiting list for this. Once it’s completed they will determine what help can be provided. (If any) https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/
    He will also need to have a financial assessment to determine if there’s any contribution he will need to pay towards the help.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,804 Championing
    Options

I know it's not just that but some councils provide a service to collect and return wheelie bins for people who can't bring them right to the kerb.

• ifonlythelonely
    Options

Thanks for your replies. My dad had a care assessment about 6 months ago & he started to receive some home help. Stubbornly after a couple a month he said he didn't need it, perhaps naively I said fair enough so we stopped it. I have since seen first hand he needs it, I have power of attorney over him so I have told him he needs help this time (and he does agree). Am I able to re-apply a 2nd time do you know?

Thanks for the info regarding the bin collections. I will get onto our local council to see if they offer this service where we are as it will be ideal for him. He can get the bin out by the front door but getting it to the end of the driveway is tough going.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,256 Championing
    Options

Yes you can refer him again.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • luvpink
    luvpink Community member Posts: 168 Empowering
    Options

I once lived in a property with steps leading up to the pavement and I couldnt manage to take the bin up there to put in the pavement.

The local council in my area arranged for the bin men to do it for me.

It was a huge help.

• ifonlythelonely
    Options

Brilliant on both accounts. I will re-apply then and get onto the council asap. Thanks all.

• Cantilip
    Cantilip Community member Posts: 270 Empowering
    Options

Do contact Rubbish and Recycling at your local council I guess it varies between oouncils and what the basic service is varies too but you might strike gold. I live in a communal bin area and get what's called an assisted collection. This means that each week I load three sacks (not all at once) onto my rollator (household rubbish, cardboard and plastics) and trundle them to outside the front door of my block. The general garbage goes in my very own wheelie bin (provided by the Council to protect it from the foxes and gulls) and the recycling is laid by the side of the wheelie. Comes the dawn the bin persons collect it all and bear it away.

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 416 Empowering
    edited June 13
    Options

I had no problem in the past setting up an assisted bin collection via her council, for my Nan when she was in her 90's.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.