Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is Aimee346914! would I get more help with uc to help with my rent?

Options
Aimee346914
Aimee346914 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 22 in Universal Credit (UC)

hello I’m on uc work partime and get the carers element on uc for my adult daughter who gets pip both daily and mobility part my question is I’ve had to change my job as of sept as due to my daughter waking me up most nights and my osteoarthritis in my hands waking me up couldn’t cope with early starts and the hours so have switched my job to a school job but it’s only 2 hrs per day and term time thinking of claiming carers allowance as well would I get more help with uc to help with my rent as I’m worried they will say I’ve got to work more hours this new job starts sept

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,552 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hey there @Aimee346914 welcome to the community.

I'm afraid I'm still figuring out the minefield that is Universal credit, hopefully someone will have an answer for you soon. I just wanted to stop in and say a quick howdy. 😊

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Unless you live in Scotland you will not be any financially better off by claiming carers allowance at the same time as UC because it's just deducted in full. If living in Scotland you will be entitled to the carers allowance supplement twice a year.

With UC the less you earn the more UC you will receive and the more you earn the less you will receive. How much you will be entitled to will depend on what your maximum UC entitlement it. If you don't have any dependant children on your claim then you will not be entitled to the work allowance, so any earnings you receive will still reduce your UC by 55p for every £1 of earnings.

As a carer you have no work commitments so yes you can reduce your working hours.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.