If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Pip backpay gutted

Options
Paulbee1122
Paulbee1122 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited June 22 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Good Afternoon guys. It has taken myself 2 years to be finally awarded pip. Higher rate after tribunal.

I was reading on here, dwp cannot take money owing for tax credits. I had an overpayment 10 years ago that I didn't even know about. But I thought not to worry this cannot be touched.

The 10k was to pay off debts and to get some improvements in my home to help with my disability.

Anyway last Monday I was awarded got text. Then Thursday debt management took the lot. I'm absolutly devostated, especially after reading on here clearly stating this cannot be used to pay off tax credit debts.

I have been left totally broken. And feel the last 2 years fight has been for nothing.

Rang them Friday. They said its all paid now so atleast the debt is gone. Yeah great. God knows what to do now.

Comments

• Paulbee1122
    Options

What can I do guys if anything. Because at the moment my head is in bits. Why punish people who need help.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,706 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi there @Paulbee1122 and welcome to the community.
    Due to the nature of the community, it can sometimes take a while for people to see your discussions, as the majority of people come here to help others in their free time.

I'm sorry to hear debt management took the back pay. I'm no expert here, but after a quick search, it looks like the DWP can use other benefits to recoup any money owed up to ten years after the overpayment. I'm hoping someone from the community will be able to give you a definitive answer though, I'm sorry I cant be of more help.

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Paulbee1122
    Options

Hi my friend thank you for the reply.

I'm just annoyed as on a previous chat on here. Not by myself. It's clearly states, that dwp cannot take for tax credit debts.

I just feel deflated.

• Albus_Scope
    Options

I understand it must feel like a kicker right now. Had you previously contacted the DWP debt management line to say you were unable to pay? It could be worth speaking to someone from there again maybe and explaining your situation? Telephone: 0800 916 0647 

Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Paulbee1122
    Options
  • Paulbee1122
    Options

Above is the comment I read, so I thought I had nothing to worry about.

I did call them on Friday. Basically told money has been paid, debt gone. Decision stands and cannot be reversed.

• Albus_Scope
    Options

Ah my apologies! I'm going on the information I liked to in a previous comment. I cant find anything specifically related to Tax credits and PIP, so Adrian may well be right. But I did find these sections;

"5.105 . When a person claims Universal Credit, any outstanding overpayments of tax credits or housing benefit may be transferred (or “migrated”) to DWP by HMRC and the appropriate local authority respectively."

"5.52. Where arrears are due following a successful MR or appeal on either a single or a joint claim then arrears may be withheld to recover any debt owed by either member of the couple. Where the arrears are due following a successful MR or appeal for an individual then those arrears may be withheld to recover any debt owed by the individual or with their permission any debt owed by their partner."

Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Paulbee1122
    Options

So they have broken the rules. Says with my permission.

I had no call nothing. Just taken.

These people don't understand the stress this causes. 10k to myself at the moment us life changing.

I will wait and see what other advice I can gain. But thank you. You have been helpful.

• Paulbee1122
    Options

Ps guys. Just to add, this is not a dig at anybody.

I just feel I have been unlucky. Most others who have commented on here have received back pay with no worrys.

It's just been such a hard slog and took a lot out of myself.

On a positive atleast I have been awarded for 5 years and will get over £500 a month.

Means now I can cut my hours down at work. Bit of me time for a change.

I'm 52 now and work has become a struggle. I will fight this and see if I can get anything back. Even if it's just a few grand to pay if debts.

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,296 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

or with their permission any debt owed by their partner."

Many congratulations on winning your appeal for enhanced PIP especially if it means you can reduce your working hours. All of this was worthwhile! It was not a hollow victory but testament to your determination and a lot of hard work.

• Paulbee1122
    Options

Yes thank you.

I'm going to probebly have to swallow the 10k but I'm still here.

Nobody has died and I can move on. I have been upset for 24 hours but sometimes life's hard as we all know.

Just anybody in future, if you owe dwp anything, there is a good chance they will take it. Even tax credit debts.

But goodluck to everyone who has applied and won. Especially those who needed to wait a long time like myself.

All take care.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.