Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Sorry, another clarification please

Options
Cantilip
Cantilip Community member Posts: 239 Pioneering

@Rachel_Scope Advertising, recommendation, mention in passing, where are the lines please. At one end of the scale there was the cannabis thread, obviously no-one can advertise pot, but at the other end is the National Biscuit Day thread full of loads of brand-names. Somewhere in the middle I showed which rollator I use by linking to the Amazon page and Albus and I in the what's for tea thread mentioned the meal replacement Huel. Now @rubin16 has just said he can't name free computer courses because that's advertising and since no-one could be profiting I'm wondering if that's so. Thanks.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@Cantilip

No one told him he wasn't allowed to mention any names, he was just being extra cautious by choosing not to

I mention brand names all the time

I think as long as you don't slander the brand, or the opposite - i.e. solicit it - you're good!! 🙂

I hope this helps a little

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,381 Scope online community team
    Options

Hi @Cantilip, 66Mustang's thinking is about right here. You're welcome to talk about brands and you can recommend something you've personally used but we wouldn't allow discussion where the poster is potentially profiting from talking about a product.

So, it's okay to say you prefer Snickers over Mars or recommend someone tries Snickers, but if you share links to somewhere you can buy Snickers bars that you might profit from the sale of, that would be considered advertising.

However, some members prefer to err on the side of caution and not make recommendations at all and that's a personal choice.

Hope that helps!

Community Manager
    Scope
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 789 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Yeah I was just being extra cautious and didn't want to publically post the link. The website is free to use however has a premium feature with extra features but all the courses are free. If anyones interested in the link I can PM them the link to the site.

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.