Can I sell my DSA laptop?

StarGummy
StarGummy Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Hello! I received a DSA laptop at the start of my studies which was around 2 years ago but have struggled to use it as much as I'd like to because it's huge. I believe it weighs around 2.3kg, and I'd much prefer a more lightweight one.

I've found multiple laptops in my budget that have the specifications to run my allocated DSA software, but the question is whether I can sell my existing heavy DSA laptop to cover a portion of the costs?

I couldn't find anything about this online (I also couldn't find any information on the DSA portion of student finance wales' website) other than one other person on another forum who asked the same question, to which someone replied saying "no, it's fraud" with another saying "yes, you own the equipment, it's yours to sell". Which one is it?

Selling the existing laptop would genuinely be a game changer for me and wouldn't involve student finance at all, but I'd hate to accidentally break any rules.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,982 Championing

Do you need a lighter laptop because your disability makes using a heavier one difficult?

You might qualify for a lightweight notebook if this is the case

Can you have another needs assessment?

• StarGummy

No I'm Autistic so it's mainly to help me with my work. I just find it incredibly hard to carry around.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,906 Championing

DSA is an allowance that doesn't need to be paid back. You wouldn't have to give the laptop back when you finish the course, so I don't see anything wrong with selling it to fund another now. I would recommend asking someone at your college/Uni that deals with finance though. They should be able to confirm it.

• StarGummy

Oh good idea! Thank you, I will try that next.