Hi all, new person here. Does anyone have any experience being on a high long term dose of naproxen?

VictorVictor18
VictorVictor18 Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience being on a high long term dose of naproxen?Currently on 660mg four times daily ( hit by a car on foot years ago, many broken bones and pain to go with it)

Think of asking the doc about diclofenac or tramadol route. Though i am having doubts it may not be enough.

Any & all advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,782 Online Community Coordinator

Hello @VictorVictor18, welcome to the community. I'm afraid I don't have experience of this, but I just wanted to pop in quickly to say hello and welcome!

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. While we can't give specific medical advice, I hope some of our members have been through similar experiences and can say what worked for them. Hope you can find a way forward soon 😊

• egister
    egister Posts: 279 Empowering

Ask the doctor about ketorolac, tramadol.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,910 Online Community Coordinator

Heya @VictorVictor18 and welcome from me too. 😊

I've been on all sorts for constant pain in my ankles after an injury back in the day. My doctor currently has me on Zapain/Cocodamol as I was finding although Tramadol was working, it made me very drowsy. It's worth speaking to your doc to discuss different options though, many painkillers have their pros and cons, so it's all about finding out what works best for you.

• onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 212 Empowering

Hello @VictorVictor18 I came across your post when searching through for questions and answers about different dosages of prescribed pain meds from GPs. I've been on what my GP states is the maximum dosage of Naproxen they'll prescribe, 1 x 500mg twice a day, for the past 4 years. Whilst it has helped a bit, it really isn't enough to manage my pain alone. I'm also on 240mg codeine that my GP states is the maximum dosage they will prescribe. I've been struggling with managing my pain recently and have tried switching from codeine to tramadol. I tried but really didn't get on with it. Perhaps it was because they started with a low dose of tramadol compared to the higher dose of codeine, but I didn't have any beneficial affects for pain. I've also been offered something called a Butec patch, but because I am due for surgery in the next few weeks, I'm trying to manage so that any post op medication will be affective. Back to your question though, my understanding is that Naproxen is an anti inflammatory medication and used for swelling. My understanding is that it is a different type of drug to Tramadol and codeine which are opiods used for pain. I believe that is why they can be taken in combination with each other, naproxen and codeine for example. Diclofenac however, is an alternative to naproxen and another anti inflammatory. If naproxen is not managing your pain, perhaps a chat with your GP about a combination of an anti inflammatory with an opioid may be worthwhile. Please note that I am not in anyway shape or form a medical professional.

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 585 Pioneering

Hi @VictorVictor18

I'm not a medic, but a long term Naproxen taker.

2640mg of Naproxen a day is a huge amount, whether long term or short term. 1500mg is the usual max short term with 1000mg per day long term. I hope you also take mega doses of a PPI like Omeprazole, as your stomach could be a real unwanted problem with that amount.

Diclofenac is an NSAID the same as Naproxen, the latter supposedly the better of the two. Tramadol is an opiod that you can take with Naproxen, maybe ask for that so you can lower the Naproxen dose. Also, if not on a PPI with the Naproxen & if you stay on it, ask for them too, otherwise you could end up with all sorts of other problems.

I'm on a 1000mg of Naproxen a day (with Omeprazole & Gaviscon Advance) & codeine, long term for various problems, sadly they don't help with my main spinal issues, I have to live with them, but do keep the extra pain bearable.

• onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 212 Empowering

@JessieJ you explained that so so well and clearer. Also highlighting the importance of taking a PPI. 👍

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 585 Pioneering

Thank you, @onedayatatime

I've just noticed, I left an 'i' out, I'll blame the Naproxen 😉

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,994 Trailblazing
    edited July 24

I have multiple sources of pain - knees (failed op), back (twisted spine), shoulders (rotatorcuff)

I spent almost 3 years on 1000mg (2 x 500mg) Naproxen per day - I am now taking 240mg (8 x 30mg) Codeine per day instead and, surprisingly - I find that they are roughly the same effect in pain killing (that could just be me) - I was taken off Naproxen by my new GP - Because of the stomach killing effects of so much Naproxen….

I AM taking Omaprazole by the way