Carers allowance

heather12
heather12 Community member Posts: 56 Listener

hi what counts as caring to get carers allowance can sitting with someone to keep them company count ? Any help would be appreciated thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,084 Championing

Yes that counts. You don't need to physically care for them to be entitled to it.

• heather12

thanks I thought that you had to physically care for them , they don’t really give descriptors as what counts. Is there any other ways that are classed as caring please.

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @heather12.

Here's a link to the eligibility criteria which should answer your question 😊

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

• poppy123456

No, you don't have to physically care for them. That really wouldn't make any sense at all because not every disabled person has physical conditions. I claim carers allowance for my daughter and she doesn't have any physical conditions, she has ASD, learning disability and social anxiety disorder.

There's no rules for what sort of care, it can be anything at all, from supervising/sitting with them, guidance, helping them to go out, cooking their food, shopping, house work, absolutely anything.

May I ask your reason for asking?

• heather12

thank you for clarifying for me poppy, it’s because I have conditions called Dystonia , deafness, scoliosis , anxiety and depression, and my dad helps me with communicating and going to appointments with me and sitting there to keep me company and the website for carers allowance doesn’t specify any of that for eligibility, it’s all about physical on the website

• poppy123456

You're welcome. All of those are fine. On the Gov.uk website it doesn't just mention physical things..

The type of care you provide

You need to spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone. This can include:

• helping with washing and cooking
    • taking the person you care for to a doctor’s appointment
    • helping with household tasks, like managing bills and shopping

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

• heather12

thank you poppy, I do find the website is vague and needs updating

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 2,006 Trailblazing
    edited July 27

Does your Dad earn payment from a job or receive any other benefits ?

If so - he may not be entitled to Carers Allowance.

The earnings limit is currently £151 per week

• heather12

he receives other benefits

• poppy123456

What benefits exactly? Carers allowance can be claimed with some benefits but not with others.

• heather12

esa, pip

• poppy123456

Thanks, that's what I suspected going by a previous thread of yours. As I advised on that thread It's possible to claim Carers allowance and Income Related ESA at the same time. Though the carers allowance is deducted from the ESA they then add the carers premium. Carers allowance is then paid as a separate payment. See your thread and the advice I gave here.

I claim Income Related ESA, PIP and carers allowance for looking after my daughter.

• heather12

thanks, I appreciate the help on this post

• poppy123456

You're welcome.

• Marydoll5
    Marydoll5 Community member Posts: 552 Championing

I recently successfully claimed carers allowance for looking after my partner. I would still have been waiting to start the claim with the mental health services here, really shambolic.

@poppy123456 you are really good giving on point advice 👏

• heather12

@poppy123456 you claim the pip for yourself and then you claim carers for your daughter, as that what my dad does he claims pip and carers allowance for me