council tax reduction for mixed age couple with one being a pensioner

happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 509 Empowering
edited August 24 in Money and bills

Hi, our council is as much help as Keir Starmer is to pensioners. I have contacted the council many times and they take weeks to respond and I am just about to give up.

Our situation is. My wife is a pensioner but i have not reached pension age. My wife is on attendance allowance and full state pension. I receive full PIP and do not work.

I am getting so many different answers from the council and none of them make sense. To be honest I do not think our council no what they are doing.

One minute they say we are entitled to a discount due to my wife is of pension age, then they are saying we are not entitled to a discount. Then they say yes we are please send us your bank statements and then i get another call saying we dont need to send bank statements.

I am getting frustrated on what to and what not to do and what we are entitled. My daughter still lives at home or works, and she lives at home to help care for me and my wife.

We are having a downstair toilet built next year, it has been four years in progress, and they have said it will b built next year but they have been saying that for three years.

Can anyone please let me know if they have gone through this and have any information for me. I have tried to get an appointment with CAB but there is a waiting list.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

This is something I won't be able to advise on, as I said in a previous thread of yours. This is because all local Authorities have their own rules for working age people, even though your wife is of pension age because you're a mixed aged couple then the rules for you would be working age.

I remember that you're also claiming Universal Credit and very often they will calculate your entitlement based on your UC award.

In a previous thread you said you were going to speak to an advice agency, did you do that? You can also use a benefits calculator and that would give you some idea.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/