Over payment child tax credit

Shellyj13
Shellyj13 Community member Posts: 102 Contributor
edited August 21 in Money and bills

I'm seeing all these shocking cases of people who have migrated from legacy benefits to U.C to now be told they owe thousands because they've been overpaid child tax credit ls.I am now extremely concerned that this is going to happen to me.I haven't even had my letter yet.What can I do and how can I find out?

Comments

• Shellyj13

Apparently child tax credits are paid in a different way to U.C so there will always be an overlap? Leaving us to pay overpayments back.Is this correct? It's making me ill.im searching everywhere and in all the benefits Facebook groups there are hundreds of stories with people saying the same.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

Tax credits entitlement are based on the previous years income. There won’t always be an overpayment. There’s more chance of an overpayment if you don’t migrate to UC.

UC is based on your income for each month. (assessment period) Therefore there’s much less chance of overpayments.

You won’t be able to find out any information until you migrate to UC and HMRC calculate your final award.

If you’ve given them the correct details for your income each year there shouldn’t be any overpayment.

• Shellyj13

Thank you for this information.Its very complicated as in my particular situation I get adult social care towards my council tax.Have bedroom tax to pay also for an extra bedroom so I'm not sure which department deals with this now or of it all my details will just transfer over as they will have them on record surely.Its incredibly stressful

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

I've never heard of adult social care towards council tax. As you're currently claiming housing benefit and council tax reduction that will be through your local Authority.

No, your details will not automatically transfer over when you claim UC. You will receive a migration letter, which will likely be very soon. Once you receive that you will have 3 months to claim UC.

You will need to claim that yourself online. by putting all of your details on the form. Citizens advice do have a help to claim helpline if you need some help to claim.

Once you submit your claim for UC your housing benefit will continue for 2 weeks and then stop. Help with the rent will then be through UC known as housing element.

Child Tax credits will stop once you submit your claim.

If you're claiming any other benefits such as Income Support or Income Related ESA/JSA then they will also continue for 2 weeks and then stop.

Your first UC payment will be 1 month and 6 days after you submit your claim. You can ask for an advance payment but it needs to be repaid back and your future UC payments will be reduced until it's paid back.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and will be recalculated based on your UC calculation.

• Shellyj13

Thank you

• dannistar
    dannistar Community member Posts: 232 Contributor
    edited September 13

Our last CTC payment was 4/6/24 and we started claim for UC via migration on 5/6/24 and we just had a letter today from the 6/9/24 to say we owe over £300 😔 it’s being taken out of our UC I just hope they don’t take it all at once or will won’t have enough to live on or pay bills

• dannistar
    edited September 13

so confusing

• Shellyj13

Yes this is exactly what I was afraid of.Ive seen hundreds of other people getting letters amounting to even more.They are totally stressed out about it.This is why I've gone without this months child tax and migrated early.If they give it to me I'm going to put it to one side because I expect they will ask for it in overpayments as so many are in this situation.

• Shellyj13

Also they are apparently going back years even when some have been paid out!.It is absolutely ridiculous

• dannistar

The worry makes me feel ill.

Hope yours turns out better.

• Shellyj13

I hope you get through it ok.I am not coping at all with all of this but my situation is quite complicated as I live in a 4 bedroom house and it's just me and my son.Now that I'm having to migrate to U.c and there's no housing benefit but housing element I face losing my home.So the date is October 16th they make their decision.l on my claim.Keeping a grip on reality is utterly unbearable and I have to make some very big decisions and am playing the biggest performance of my life right now to ensure that my son has no idea what is going on

• dannistar

Take care

• Shellyj13

And you

• dannistar

If it wasn’t for this site and Poppy I dread to think how I would have felt without the support.

• Shellyj13

That's good I'm sure they definitely help put people's minds at ease and save lives

• Shellyj13

I think in your situation you should just ( if you can) be logical and think that they will atleast be reasonable and give you plenty of time to pay this money back.I think there may be organisations like council support funds which can perhaps help in the intermediate but im no expert on things like this

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,016 Empowering

Can I ask pls don't they pay housing benefit? What's housing element I'm so sorry for all the stress your under

• Shellyj13

I have no idea what or if housing element is the same as housing benefit and if U.C pay it for or to councils and this is just another thing that is making me ill

• Shellyj13

I don't want to talk about this anymore please don't comment

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,232 Championing

Your housing element award should be the same as your housing benefit @Shellyj13, so please please try not to worry. They will pay the housing element to you as part of your UC, but if you'd prefer they pay it straight to your landlord you can ask them to do that and they can do that instead from the second payment ❤️