Single parent 2 children disability

wrighty08
wrighty08 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi just wanted to say thank you in advance and wondered if you can help.

I have 2 children on disability benefits. My son gets high rate pip on both components. I claim carers allowance for him and along with universal credit.

My daughter got a decision end of July awarding her high rate care low mobility dla. Awarded from March.

I know I cannot claim carers for her as I'm single. (Bit unfair doing 2 lots of caring) can I claim the carers element for her on universal credit or can I just only claim it once for my son?

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

Hey there @wrighty08 and welcome to the community.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, as I'm still learning all the many ins and outs of benefits, but hopefully someone will have an answer for you soon. I just wanted to pop in and say a quick hello. 😊

• wrighty08
    wrighty08 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Thank you so much for the welcome. It's such a minefield

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,084 Championing

No, you can't claim carers allowance or carers element for both children, you can only claim for one of them.

Your UC should already include carers element, unless you're claiming the LCWRA element for yourself and then you can't receive both elements at the same time.

Carers allowance is deducted in full from any UC entitlement so there's no financial gain to claiming it.

If you're not claiming the LCWRA element please check your statements to see if carers element is also included.

Your UC should also include 2 higher rate disabled child element. (assuming you're still claiming the child element for your son) If not then it will be just the 1 higher rate disabled child element.