Spotlight on surviving the summer holidays

Jodie_Scope
Jodie_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 60 Family Services
edited August 30 in Families and carers

Autumn term is nearly here. Summer has gone by so quickly. How has it been for you?

My favourite part of Summer is being able to walk my dog when it’s still light in the evening. Hopefully the sunlight will stay for a few more weeks yet.

What are your plans for the remaining few days? Maybe it’s last minute school shoe shopping?

Maybe it’s enjoying having one last lie in!

We look forward to hearing from you.

Jodie 😊

Comments

• Doris_Scope
    Doris_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 170 Family Services

I agree with @Jodie_Scope

Late evenings which are still light is always a favourite of mine. Could have been warmer though 😂.

I also loved hearing the dawn chorus through my open windows.

@Doris_Scope 😊

• SaraC_Scope
    SaraC_Scope CP Network, Scope Posts: 124 Empowering

We walked our spaniel at a local beauty spot on bank holiday Monday. It was a lovely sunny day and peaceful. There was a family having a picnic and playing games. Our dog was running around and launched herself into the stream behind them. The stream was quite deep. She was soaked along with some of the family. Luckily they thought it was quite funny, they were cooled off in the warm weather.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,395 Online Community Coordinator

I will miss the light evenings, it's so good for keeping the mind healthy. I'll e trying to cram some last minute gardening in before the nice weather leaves us for another 8 months.

Luckily my dogs are at that age where they're not really fussed about long walks, so I wont be missing that much. 😆

• W_Webster
    W_Webster Community member Posts: 11 Connected

Ah, I am one of those people who thrive in dark and cold places (not damp of course), like a vampire. Heat makes my neurological symptoms way way worse. Lighter nights (being in North/East Scotland it only gets dark for an hour or so in high summer!), sleeping is an issue too in summer. Yet, with cold weather, yes, I have pain and symptoms, but I function much better.

I will miss the warmer days with the green lovely grass, and the birds (and this year not-so-many bees). I love hanging out laundry in the warm weather (early morning before the heat sets in), and taking it in when the sun disappears behind the house.

It reminds me of the holidays I had as a child in the South of France with my parents. At least the heat was dry there, and much better for a person in general.

Also, the cats are much happier in summer. And the neighbour's kids always go nuts on the trampoline every time the sun comes out.

So, if I could have a summer that was cooler than about 14 degrees, that would be good. And sundown by - say - 20:30 throughout 6 months of the year.

In my mind, I can be quite selfish at times.

I still dutifully answer people in the street when they say "Lovely day, isn't it?!". ,….. "Yes, yes it is" when I long for rain, thunder and lightning! Like a member of the Addams Family. Huhu. Trying not to be selfish, as most of us do enjoy summer …. I was once one of them …. out there in France …

• Jodie_Scope
    Jodie_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 60 Family Services

You're not being selfish at all @W_Webster we all like different things.

I totally agree with you about hanging the laundry out in the warm weather and find watching it blow in the summer breeze really calming.

Having said how much I enjoy the summer I also enjoy autumn when the nights are drawing in and I can close my curtains, light my candles and grab a fluffy blanket as the weather gets a few degrees cooler. Also it's nearing Halloween so a perfect time for watching The Addams Family!

Well done for surviving the summer holidays, although I don't think we've quite seen the last drops of sun yet! So looking on the bright side, there will be more freshly dried washing for us 😊

Take care

Jodie

• W_Webster
    W_Webster Community member Posts: 11 Connected

*Snapping fingers twice". Autumn and Winter are my favourite seasons. 😍👻🍁❄️

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,395 Online Community Coordinator

I really think Autumn is the best season, not too hot, not too cold, everything looks pretty with the orange leaves and it's Halloween season, so I get to dress up. 😍