Council tax reduction

Shellyj13
Shellyj13 Community member Posts: 102 Contributor

I'm confused as to whether I need to contact my local council about Council tax reduction when migrating to U.C or does this automatically stay the same?.I know housing benefit is being replaced

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,965 Championing

When you fill in the online UC form, it should have asked if you also receive CTR. As long as you ticked yes, UC will inform the council of the change.

• Shellyj13

Oh ok thank you

• Shellyj13

I'm not sure whether to claim now or to get September's tax credits and then migrate.Just concerned whether I'll there will be then be overpayments to pay back.As so many people are now getting them leaving people suicidal

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

I see you’re also claiming ESA if this is Income Related then there shouldn’t be any overpayments for tax credits. Usually if there’s overpayments it will be because of earnings.

• Shellyj13

Thank God for you Poppy.I have had sleepless weeks over this.been in hospital and been sick with worry.Do my child's dla payments continue whilst the migration happens?

• Shellyj13

My existing benefits gets automatically paid into a generic santander savings account.I do not have a current account.Surely U.C can be paid into this same account?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

Aww glad I can help. DLA isn't part of UC and will continue as normal. There shouldn't be an issue paying your money into the same account as your current benefits.

• Shellyj13

Thank you very much

• Shellyj13

I have since found that this is a problem and they can't pay into my existing savings account as it is a generic account.You have to have an account with a simple sort code and account number such as a current account

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,965 Championing

I was thinking you would need a standard 'card' account when I read this before. Could you open a current account with Santander? That should give you a bank card, and you could have the money automatically transferred into the other account each month if you wanted.

• Shellyj13

I have already got an old Halifax account so I called them up to let them know that it wouldn't let me enter the bank details (SO stressful) and he said it would flag up on my journal ( which it has.I now have all these flagged up messages about housing,bank details etc.I couldn't be more stressed

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @Shellyj13. Just trying to catch up on what's been going on for you. Sorry you're so stressed. Take it one message at a time then move on to the next one so you don't feel overwhelmed. Are you able to use your Halifax account?