Hi, my name is WheelchairCrisis!

WheelchairCrisis
WheelchairCrisis Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi Everyone,

Having been doing battle with AJM Healthcare and Millbrook before them over wheelchair provision for my brother I am researching the extent of the current crisis for a potential TV or Radio documentary and would welcome anyone with similar stories to get in touch.

Tagged:

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

Hey there @WheelchairCrisis and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you've had to battle with your local healthcare provider, that should never have to happen. It may sound like an odd suggestion, but have you spoken to your local MP about this? They may be able to grease some wheels, so to speak.

• kc1978
    kc1978 Community member Posts: 78 Empowering

Hi @WheelchairCrisis ,

Unfortunately this is a national issue. I had issues obtaining then recently getting new part required.

There is a major rise is referrals, wheelchair contracts are limited to pretty much one company, which gives a discount, and then there are issues in obtaining materials and electronic components. Add onto this that may services are going or have been. Through change of wheelchair provider changes, it is a perfect storm.

Things are not improving, the wheelchair budgets are not helpful and despite them saying how it will encourage choice, you are only better off if you have money to upgrade.

I have tried to raise the matter with health watch locally and nationally on both occasions nobody even made any contact, the wheel chair alliance were great but are nationally policy driven so are doing what they can, but this is a crisis and to be fair an outrage, and I have no idea why this has not been more widely covered by the press.

The Health service ombudsman wrote to AJM CEO due to a rise in complaints they received. However I believe that many of the issues are driven by the Integrated Care Boards , the budgets allocated, the service and targets implemented and rise in referrals.

It definitely should be reported on

Definitely worth contact the wheelchair Alliance to.

K

• WheelchairCrisis
    WheelchairCrisis Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited September 4

It's for all of these reasons that I am working to get some reporting on this onto the national stage. Having others come forward with their experiences will add weight to the pitch so I can demonstrate the scope of the problem across the UK and the devastating impact it is having on wheelchair users physical and mental health. This problem has been going on for far too long and the occasional news article isn't making enough impact.

If people can come forward to me with their experiences I can compile enough information to make a detailed pitch and push to get a commission and get the documentary made. I can be reached at [email removed by moderator]