Hi, my name is Snap! can still claim housing benefit if I moved into my daughters annex?

Snap
Snap Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 5 in Benefits and income

Hello

Can anyone advise please.

I would like to move into my daughter's annex, which has its own living quarters, bathroom,two bedrooms and kitchen. It has its own front door, although it also has an internal door connecting the main hallways of both main house and annex.

I want to know if I can still claim housing benefit if I moved in there?

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,910 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @Snap and welcome to the community.

I'm afraid I'm not 100% on housing benefit rules currently, but I believe you can't claim if you're living with a family member? Hopefully someone will be able to give you a definite answer soon. 😊

• Snap

The annex is an independent dwelling which is usually rented out on a commercial basis. As it's now empty, I thought I would like to move in, but would need to get hb to be able to afford to do this.

• vikki66
    vikki66 Community member Posts: 164 Empowering

Hi Snap,

HB is being replaced by UC. I think people are only able to claim HB if they’re in temporary emergency accommodation with the council, or a refuge, or (bail) hostel scenario - I’m assuming these don’t apply to your situation, as you didn’t mention anything like that.

You can also get HB if you are of pension age and meet other criteria, but there are caveats “When you might not be able to claim” - one of them stated on gov website as “when you live in the home of a close relative.”

I know you said it’s a separate annex, but I know that this can also apply to properties owned by family. I had a friend whose local authority wouldn’t pay HB on a house owned by my friend’s mother which my friend wanted to rent out.

I guess if you contact your local council they’d be able to tell you their rules on HB.

Best wishes

• MyHappy256
    MyHappy256 Community member Posts: 44 Contributor
    edited September 4

Just to add, you can only claim HB if you move to a house within the same area as you currently have housing benefit with, otherwise you have to move over to UC and make a whole new claim for UC.

(For example I moved from South Cambs District Council to a new home also in South Cambs District Council)

I don't know whether you can rent from a relative and claim HB, they might not allow that?

• Snap

I am nearly 80yrs old and am on dla

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

What concerns me is that is has a connecting door to the main house. Does the annex have its own council tax banding? Does it have its own gas and electric meter?

It is possible to rent from a close relative if it's on a commercial basis, with a tenancy agreement but only if it's treated as a separate property. What if you couldn't pay the rent, would she evict you?

If it's treated as part of the main house, which I suspect it is then no you won't be able to claim for help with any rent.

This isn't straight forward at all so I'd advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you.

• Snap

The annex has all independent electric and water meter. Also separate council tax

• vikki66
    vikki66 Community member Posts: 164 Empowering

@poppy123456

Sound advice as always!