I need help/care but unsure where to go?

ellie_lou
ellie_lou Community member Posts: 12 Listener

Are there any social care services that offer hands on help less than 35 hours? Im autistic and recently chose to live independently but not managing at all (big mistake). A family memeber helps me 1 day a week but I definitely need more, preferably an extra day. I dont have any friends or family available to help this much. So I have to look for a service.

To my knowledge a person applies for social care through GP, and they either qualify for 35 hours or not, any less than 35 and you dont get help? I need a lot of help but not quite 35 hours. Can someone please give me advice on this, and suggest any ideas.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,395 Online Community Coordinator

Heya @ellie_lou I'm afraid that care isn't in my field of knowledge, but I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some tips soon. I'll try and do some googling in a bit. 😊

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 3,137 Championing

Hi, I looked for something like this a few years ago but couldn't find anything locally. The only option I was suggested is to put an advert out to privately employ an assistant. That didn't sound very safe to me and wasn't something I could manage anyway. I would be interested to know if you do find something suitable now.

• charlie79
    charlie79 Community member Posts: 265 Empowering

There's charity called crossroads my mum used to work for them years ago.

I gave this advice for someone 7 years ago. It was beneficial.

You have to request through gp and they do referral.

The charity then does an assessment and advices how many free hours entitled to if accepted.

You can pay for extra . Usually min if accepted is 3 hrs . The person will have a car and be able to aid .

• ellie_lou

Replying to overly anxious. I'm sorry you havent managed to find that support. And yes I did consider the same thing, just making an anonymous post online, there has got to be plenty people out there who would be willing to do so for extra money. As long as you are upfront and honest about the situation. If you decide to do this, maybe request for somebody with a background in care/ ask for them to show you proof of their background or something. Or a neighbour? There must be something or somebody! Hope you stay safe

• ellie_lou

Replying to Charlie. This charity sounds just what I was looking for, and also the person above! I havent heard of it before but hopefully there is one based close by Thank you

• Lola_Scope
    Lola_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 46 Family Services

Hi @ellie_lou. This is not my area of expertise and the charity above sounds like it might be perfect for you. However, if you haven’t done so already, you could also consider requesting a needs assessment perhaps. I think this would assess your needs in relation to what’s specifically available in your area. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

• ellie_lou

Ah, I have found that there are services out there that offer this - it is generally known as "outreach care" however it's not provided by the council... it is usually independent charities or organisations that do it (they must understand the demand for this grey area!) most of them need to check their funding first to see if they have enough funding, but if not you can pay the service. Scene as they are charitable places, they only ask for a small amount compared to other more expensive private places

• ellie_lou

Replying to lola. Thank you, I should do this needs assesment. They might be able to judge this much better than me... stubborn me trying to do things independently 😊 late diagnosed autism, unmasking is very hard

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,411 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @ellie_lou. Definitely complete the needs assessment. That way you can get the support you need 😊 Haha it's always good to try and be independent but sometimes we do need some help.