Please advice to deal with noise from neighbor.

pinemartine
pinemartine Community member Posts: 60 Contributor

My neighbor has a live/work place and they rent out their space for live streaming.

Every month they have DJ and audience for live performance. The live is for a foreign country and it usually starts around 9pm to 11:30 -12am due to the time difference.
Sometimes audiences get excited and jumping up and down, thenI get a pile of dust from the ceiling.
They told me they use a noise monitoring device to keep the music at the certain level and tell the audience not to jump, but actually it’s very loud and when the performers get excited, they start jumping.

Last time it happened, I had a friend who wanted to discuss something me but we couldn’t really talk. We had to go out to the street to talk and we could even hear the music outside.

They usually text me to warn me when it happens but it doesn’t mean anything as I cannot go anywhere else but home.

They told me they have right to use the space to make money as it’s live and “work” but they are violating my right to live normal life in my own home.

I suffer from depression, anxiety and panic attacks.. This issue is definitely affecting my mental health.
apart from that they are kind and helpful and I don’t want to ruin our relationship.
Only way I can think to deal with it, maybe talk to other neighbours who definitely suffer from the noise as well and team up with them.
Any ad ice or better idea is most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• vikki66
    vikki66 Posts: 214 Connected

Hi @pinemartine

Just had a little memory lane regarding previous very noisy neighbours as I read your post😣

When you say live/work space do you mean that they have applied to the local authority for permission to use their residential space for commercial purposes? Or just that they’re telling neighbours it’s a live/work place?

Do they have an entertainments licence (from your local council)? Even if they do it doesn’t mean that they can do whatever they like. Do they sell alcohol at the events? - if they do they need a different licence for that (and times would be specified on those).

Local authorities have anti-social/ safe neighbourhood policies. I think it’s often no loud noise between the hours of 11PM and 7AM, but check out your LA’s website. There will be an officer at your council whose job is noise-abatement, and you’re entitled to call and speak to them in confidence to get advice, even before you speak to other neighbours. You could just outline the scenario, without giving details, to give you an idea on what to do next.

There’s also acceptable noise levels outwith the ‘anti-social’ hours, and what’s acceptable on a decibel-counter at a music festival/venue is different from what’s ok in a residential street. Your ceiling shouldn’t be shaking to the extent that you’re having ‘dust’ fall on you.

You definitely have the right to enjoy your own home without noise-nuisance causing damage to your well-being. Any ‘business’ they might be operating doesn’t have the right to ruin your MH.

I’m not sure if you meant that the events start between 9PM-12AM? Presumably then going on for a couple of hours? In an upstairs apartment?🤔

Though you say they’re kind and helpful, a text about a ceiling-shaking DJ event doesn’t sound quite enough to cover what you’re describing. They’re in the entertainment business - they know how loud they are.

Apologies if I omitted or repeated anything, I’m being interrupted by a noisy dog.

PS - make sure they’re not connected to any nefarious people if you’re thinking of confronting them.

Hope you get it resolved soon

• older01
    older01 Community member Posts: 67 Contributor

Hi @pinemartine if there is what’s known as sound pollution coming from your neighbours property, you might want to inform someone from your local council. Noise pollution is taken seriously by most councils. They can give you equipment on loan to record the decibels of the noise. They can take more action on your behalf than if you report it to the police. You are within your rights to record it yourself initially if it’s a public nuisance. Not as in video, more like audio. This will give the correct authorities the information they need initially to act. This is wholly unfair to you and other residents.

Best wishes to you x

• pinemartine
    edited September 11

Thank you for the detailed advice.

@vikki66

When you say live/work space do you mean that they have applied to the local authority for permission to use their residential space for commercial purposes? Or just that they’re telling neighbours it’s a live/work place?

The building I live is commercial property originally and our landlord advertised as live/work space. Some of us just use as residential like me or simply office without living ,and my neighbor uses as live/work place.

Do they have an entertainments licence (from your local council)? Even if they do it doesn’t mean that they can do whatever they like. Do they sell alcohol at the events? - if they do they need a different licence for that (and times would be specified on those).

I don’t know if they have an entertainment licence, but I think they don’t as this DJ live only happens monthly and it’s for live streaming rather than clubbing. They rents out the space for the filming location not for clubbing. The audiences are extras to create the real live atmosphere so I believe they are not serving alcohol.

I’m not sure if you meant that the events start between 9PM-12AM? Presumably then going on for a couple of hours? In an upstairs apartment?🤔

Yes, it usually starts around 9pm and finish’s around 12AM. One time it went on until 1:30 AM even if I was told it would finish by 11PM. Usually for about 3 hours.

As you advised me, I will ask advice from council. Thank you.

@older01

Thank you for your advice.

I will record the noise next time but they are clever and have a device to monitor the decibel and controls the volume.

So they might keep the decibel within the regal admittance but the loud music and people’s footsteps goes on for hours at bed time, no one wouldn’t be happy.
    As I mentioned, I went outside last time it was happening and several young people who were walking the street tried to come into the building because they heard the music and they thought it was a party going on.

I will talk to the council anonymously first and ask them advice.

• vikki66
    vikki66 Posts: 214 Connected

Hope you get it sorted out, it’s very difficult when things like this happen on a regular basis. Every local authority is different, but where I live you’d need an entertainment licence if live music events were taking place in a venue, and it wouldn’t mean they could go on all night.

Good luck with it.

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @pinemartine. Sorry you're having issues with your neighbours. As others have suggested, get in touch with the council and hopefully they can help. Hopefully things can be resolved without damaging the good relationship you have with your neighbour.

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 112 Empowering

You have my sympathy.

I live in flats waiting to move, it was lovely when I moved in years ago.

They moved in an awful family a couple of years ago, they throw their kids outside every evening and all weekend. All I ever hear is screaming, shouting, swearing and silly noises. Kicking peoples vehicles, swinging off fences, kicking the communal door and breaking the glass. Like savages.

You can't talk to them because they are mouthy so I have to keep turning the TV up and up, that makes me cringe from my hypersensitivity but the TV is preferable to listen to foul mouthed brats shouting words they shouldn't even know, the housing officer is lazy and useless.

I'm high priority for a move so hoping I'm out soon.

• pinemartine

@Rachel_scope

Thank you for the kind words. I will talk to council soon.

@Nightcity

I am sorry to hear your situation. Mine is not every day but you suffer every day and all day, it must be really stressful.

I live in a private rented flat and I can’t find anything else in my area with the same rent. I cannot move…

I hope you will move to a better place soon.

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 112 Empowering

Thanks for your lovely post. Hope things improve shortly for you and you have a lovely upcoming weekend.

• egister
    egister Posts: 284 Empowering

If they are streaming, so you should complain to the moderators so that their channel is blocked. Create your own channel, make a video of how they make noise, write what bad people they are...