Hi, my name is Carobel!

Carobel
Carobel Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 11 in Start here and say hello!

I have a question that I feel scope can help with.

Tagged:

Comments

• Doris_Scope
    Doris_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 145 Family Services

Hi @Carobel

Welcome to the online community. What is your question?

We are here to help if we can.

We are also here as a friendly community where you can chat about whatever is on your mind.

@Doris_Scope

• Carobel

Thank you for getting back to me. My question is to do with ESA and the DWP. I am asking on behalf of my son who has mental health issues. He receives ESA. He lives in a leasehold flat which he owns because his father bought it.

Is it a legal requirement of the DWP to be informed of service charge increases?

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

• Doris_Scope
    Doris_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 145 Family Services

Hi @Carobel

I am not sure of the answer to this but have tagged @Adrian_Scope in as he is usually good with these questions.

You could also ring Scope's helpline on 0808 800 3333 to speak to someone. The helpline are great in answering questions such as these.

Another option is to contact your citizen's advice bureau, again to speak to someone in person.

I always find it more helpful if I can speak to someone either on the phone or face to face. It means that if you have any other questions you can ask there and then.

@Doris_Scope

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @Carobel and welcome to the community 😊

I'm not entirely sure when it comes to service charges, however, it's always best to inform them of any changes so I'd recommend letting them know.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,558 Online Community Programme Lead

Good afternoon @Carobel 🙂

Does your son claim anything else, such as Housing Benefit (HB) or Universal Credit (UC) for help with the service charges? If he is only claiming ESA, then this is not relevant to them and does not need to be reported.

However, if his service charges are eligible for support from UC or HB and he is claiming either of these benefits, then he should report the change to them so they can re-evaluate his award.

• Carobel

No he doesn't. But someone from the DWP told him it was a legal requirement to let them know of any increase as he does get help towards the service charge with being on ESA.