Hi, my name is kittycat1976! Would I be better off not claiming Carer's Allowance on UC?

kittycat1976
kittycat1976 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 13 in Universal Credit (UC)

Hi, can anyone help? I have a little job from home which I declare. It's only around £500 p/m. If, with my Universal Credit (which I've just started as I've migrated over from Income Support) if I am entitled to LWCRA (and so allowed a work allowance of up to £673 before UC is affected) will Carers Allowance be counted as income? If so, would I be better not claiming Carers Allowance for my. mother - i.e. would I be better off?

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,858 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @kittycat1976, welcome to the community!

Carers Allowance would usually be counted as income on Universal Credit.

How many hours do you spend caring for your mum per week? You might be eligible for an extra top-up if it's over 35 hours and she's on any disability benefits. There's a bit of information about that if you scroll down on this page from the Universal Credit website:

Universal Credit: What you'll get - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you're not sure what to do, you could always try talking to a benefits adviser to see if they can help you work out what's best. Advicelocal have a directory to search for people in your area 😊

• kittycat1976
    kittycat1976 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Thank you so much Rosie. I think I will be awarded LWCRA in the next few weeks when they look at my medical form. Is Carers Allowance counted as earnings even though it is deducted off Universal Credit?