Carer's Allowance & Work Allowance on Universal Credit

kittycat1976
kittycat1976 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Could anyone explain this to me?

If I'm awarded LWCRA and get a Work Allowance, will Carer's Allowance still be deducted from my main UC or will it then be viewed as income and affect my Work Allowance? Say for instance I work and earn £500 and I'm allowed to earn £600 on Work Allowance - would Carers Allowance, say at £320 per month then be viewed as income so I'd be over the £600 earning allowance by £220 and so would only get 45p of each £1.

Does that make sense? Will Carers still be just deducted from UC (which Im fine about) and will Work Allowance be separate, i.e. I can earn up to £600 or whatever it is, or will carers allowance be viewed as income? As if that's the case I think I'd need to stop claiming Carers.

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing

The work allowance is separate, the carer's allowance is deducted as 'unearned income' so taken off pound for pound, it doesn't use up any of the work allowance @kittycat1976 and then your work allowance would be used for your wages ❤️❤️

• kittycat1976
    kittycat1976 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Thank you so much @Biblioklept. Sorry if I'm replying wrong as I'm not familiar yet with using Scope so hope you see this okay. Thank you for taking the time to reply and explaining it in an easy to understand way. I appreciate it more thank you know. God bless you for your kindness. xx

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,330 Championing

Awww you're so welcome @kittycat1976 ❤️