Self employment and Access to Work

wobblyone
wobblyone Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 5 in Work

Hi, I would like to be self-employed and have applied for access to work around March. I’m still waiting and feel fed up as I’d like to get started but cannot manage the admin with UC and HMRC due to more than one health issue/disability.

I also do not have help with social care despite needing it so I have just watched all the opportunities go by and I can’t progress.

I was bullied out of my job by a manager who started after me. She refused to allow agreed adjustments because she seemed ignorant of the law. She shared humiliating information about me to colleagues and one started openly harassing me at a meeting. I gave up at the point of tribunal because I couldn’t cope with the public nature of it and was afraid I would be harassed further. As a result of the was I was treated I became unfit for that role and later my health declined. In my job I worked more unsocial hours than colleagues and did extra overtime when we were understaffed but my manager couldn’t see past her prejudice.

I’ve had some good jobs but three awful ones. I think self employment is my best option considering my health and current abilities. However even in paid jobs I give up at the application process because of the gaps where I’ve left jobs for health reasons, bullying or lack of childcare. I’m reluctant to use LinkedIn or social media for employment due to harassment but I have skills in areas that public CVs are common.

Not being able to be employed or even self employed and struggling with daily life is getting me very down as I feel I am not able to contribute anything to the world and I am fed up of being treated like a burden.

usually did my jobs well with minimal support but often stand out as a target because of my interest in doing my job well and not being great with the social aspect of things. At one job I did a variable hours contract where all clients increased my hours and when I filled in for colleagues on leave their clients would ask me to return (I obviously politely declined as did not take colleagues’ Clients).

I’m probably not neurotypical and don’t fit anywhere. I’m so fed up because of the many difficulties with health and struggling on a daily basis. I can’t afford to have a PA because I’d have to be their employer. Even if try agency and self employed I’d be paying someone to support me to work to earn less than I’m paying out. I claim the maximum benefits for my situation.

I’m sorry this is so long and waffling but I’m so fed up. I’m fed up of not having any self worth and deep as if I don’t want to be here anymore. I have a health condition that also means I experience a lot of pain and have long given up trying to attend appointments as I often cannot get there and can’t negotiate the NHS anyway.

I’m not sure what to do but would like something to look forward to. Self employment seemed like a great option even if it isn’t financially successful. I generally feel pushed for being alive.

Tagged:

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,411 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @wobblyone, I'm so sorry no-one was able to provide an answer.

How are you feeling today? I completely understand when you say you don't want to put down the gaps in your employment. When I was younger I didn't keep jobs for long due to my mental health so I looked like I couldn't commit. I also tried self-employment so I was able to manage my own time and not worry about the social aspect of working and the demands of a manager. It worked well for a while but to be financially secure I went back into employment.

What kind of self-employment are you considering? I'm going to be sending you an email shortly, can you look out for it?