Hi, my name is jons! Any advice about my employment situation?

jons
jons Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 6 in Work

Thank you for your email in regard to the Electrical Position within the organisation,As you may be aware, I commenced my position in November 2023 at which point the agency informed me that the position was Temporary to permanent Monday to Friday 8 till 4no OOH at which I decided to take the position as it didn’t involve OOH. During my employment within the company I was asked regarding the OOH at which I informed my supervisor and yourself that I was unable to do OOH due to my medical condition and I am registered disabled. During my interview for the position I was asked again regarding the OOH at which I informed the interview panel again that I was unable to complete the OOH due to my disability. I enjoy working at the hospital and during my time I have gained extensive experience and knowledge in areas which I have never been involved prior to working at hospital

After our recent meeting and discussion regarding the position you have indicated that I need to be on the OOH should I wish to continue working in the organisation. I would appreciate if you could reconsider my application for the position and make reasonable adjustments regarding my medical condition of which I am able to obtain a medical report on the matter. While plans on paper are important, they must be flexible enough to adapt to on-site realities.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

As previously discussed with you in person a number of occasions there Is currently no permanent position available for you within the structure that you can fulfil due to you stating you are unable to be on the on-call rota for the electrical team. Unfortunately, this is mandatory for the role and an area where I need additional support to assist the existing electrical team. It is unfortunate that you cannot Fulfil all the role responsibilities for the position as you have been a valuable member of the team during your time on site via the agency.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing

I think you may have made a mistake here. You've posted on scope's public forum. Were you meant to contact someone else?

• jons

can you please advise

• jons

Can you please advise

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 4,086 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @jons, welcome to the community. Thanks for sharing what's been going on at work and sorry to hear they've not offered you a permanent position. What kind of advice are you looking for?

If you feel as if you might have been discriminated against for your disability, Scope has a little bit of information about discrimination on the website that you might find useful:

Discrimination at work | Disability charity Scope UK

There's also a page on Reasonable Adjustments:

Reasonable adjustments at work | Disability charity Scope UK

While I don't know all the details of your case, unfortunately it can happen that some businesses can't make reasonable adjustments if it's essential to the work. It could be worth contacting ACAS to see if they can offer any advice on your situation:

Acas | Making working life better for everyone in Britain

Some of our members might be able to share their thoughts too, I'll put your post into our Work section so they can find it more easily. I hope you can find a way forward.