Child health visitor

mikeblue
mikeblue Community member Posts: 13 Listener

Hi all. Can I get some advice please.I've had a call about a health visit for my 1yr baby, They want to see him etc, can I refuse a visit? And do the health visitors communicate with the dwp- I am on LCWRA and haven't notified the dwp that my child is staying with me at the moment( I only found out i have another chill). Im assuming they have called because I registered him with my GP. Tia

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,395 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @mikeblue glad to see you here. Am I remembering right that you'd previously told the DWP about your surprise child back in September?

• mikeblue
    mikeblue Community member Posts: 13 Listener

I did but I actually never got a reply back. Things are so complicated right now tbh with his mother being abroad etc

• Emilee
    Emilee Community member Posts: 133 Empowering

Refusing a visit can flag on their system as suspicious and raise a safeguarding concern or child protection order. This usually happens if a child or their family or carer has previously been known to social services, even if that were with a different parent to the one currently caring for the child. If a safeguarding concern is raised it can also then impact any other children living with you.

The health visitors do not communicate with the DWP so if that is your worry there is no need.

• Doris_Scope
    Doris_Scope Scope Family Services Posts: 170 Family Services

Hi @mikeblue

A health visitor does not have the right to enter your home if you don't want them to. It is more likely that they remove you from their books if you miss appointments. Like any NHS service.

You should be aware though, if nobody ever sees the child they may become classed as an unseen child. This can be because access to the child is constantly denied by the parent or carer. Actions could then be taken dependent on the risk.

It is worthwhile having health visitors involved though. They are there to support you and the child and check that everything is okay with the baby. It also means that if you need to access any services, at such a young age, they would be the people to first approach.

If you are worried about losing your LCWRA, being a sole carer for a baby should not automatically affect your entitlement. This is as long as you still meet the criteria. If your circumstances have changed and the baby is now living with you, it is always advisable to let the DWP know of your changes.

Someone else maybe able to clarify this further. I hope this helps.

@Doris_Scope