Start work

Qasimo
Qasimo Community member Posts: 168 Empowering

Hi anybody know if I start work temporarily up to Christmas is my universal credit stop housing benefit or child benefits are they going to stop or what thanks in advance..

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 4,078 Online Community Coordinator

Hi Quasimo,

Do you receive your housing benefit as part of Universal Credit or is it a separate payment?

It's unlikely that your payments would stop completely if you started work, they'd usually be adjusted depending on how much you earn. If you are in the LCWRA or LCW group you'll have what's called a 'work allowance' which is an amount that you can earn before your usual Universal Credit payments start being reduced.

If you're receiving the housing element of UC, your work allowance will likely be £404. Your UC payments will be reduced by 55p for every £1 you earn above the work allowance. There's a quick guide to work out how it might affect your payments here:

Earnings taper - Entitledto

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 3,125 Championing

Hi,

How much would you be earning each month?

Do you get LCWRA?

• Qasimo
    Qasimo Community member Posts: 168 Empowering

I have Housing benefit with UC and child benefits with UC too I'm gonna be working 5 days it gonna get over £2000 per month so..

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 4,078 Online Community Coordinator

If your earnings do reduce your UC payments to zero, usually your claim can stay open for 6 months and during that time you'll start receiving payments again if you're no longer earning. After 6 months I believe they close your claim down so you would need to reapply.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,206 Championing

As your UC includes help with the rent then your work allowance will be £404/month. For every £1 of earnings you receive over that amount your UC will reduce by 55p.

If you start working you must report the changes to UC.

• egister
    egister Posts: 388 Empowering

404/0.55 = 735 - with such a salary they will not pay 404 per month.

735-404 = 331

It turns out that working with a low salary is not profitable due to the costs of transport, clothing, deteriorating health, etc. The loss of a disabled person is greater than the gain. The only winner is goverment, which receives additional taxes and accelerated death of the disabled person.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,206 Championing

I'm not sure I understand your calculations here. For the work allowance, they don't actually include £404 on your statement.

The work allowance means that £404 per month of your earnings will be ignored before deductions apply. For every £1 of earnings over the amount your UC reduces by 55p.

For example, if your earnings are £735 - £404 for work allowance = £331 then this figure will be used to calculate the deduction in your UC… £331 x 0.55 = £182.05.

This means you'll receive all of your earnings, as well as your UC but it will be minus £182.05 so it's still a win win situation.

Accelerated death of a disabled person? seriously? what a really awful thing to say!

• egister
    egister Posts: 388 Empowering

My calculations are based only on the data above. I don’t understand why you don’t take seriously the accelerated death of a disabled person from work. For example, rheumatological diseases that require joint replacement clearly worsen the condition during work, especially in cases where joint replacement is impossible due to concomitant diseases. Also for heart failure. And millions of other diseases. How much does a person value his life?