Universal Credit
Hi all, my 26 year old son has just moved back in with me, long story but he was in independent living and it didn’t quite work out!, any hows he handed in his keys and was declared as being ‘voluntary homeless ‘ I can’t of course see him on the streets !, he’s currently paying me £100 a week mostly for food but of course towards his washing and added expenditure on bills etc, do I need to declare this to universal credit ? as it’s not actually earnings ?
Comments
-
Sorry @ScopeHelpline think I’ve posted this in the wrong area !
0 -
No you don't need to declare this money to UC. Even if he were earning you would not have to report this.
1 -
No you don't need to declare it @Dynamisante 😊. How are you feeling about your son moving back home?
0 -
@Mary_Scope , to be perfectly honest I’m not too good about it all, when he moved out into independent living I kind of thought he would have some kind of support, etc supporting him with basic needs, dentist, doctor, mental health support, but none of this happened, I was supporting him with food etc and providing him with deliveries paid for by his appointee from his personal benefits, anyways it’s a long story but my son was being bullied into giving food and money to another resident ‘otherwise’ well, my son couldn’t go back as was so scared, someone went with him to collect a small amount of his belongings and to hand his keys in, which now apparently results in him making himself voluntarily homeless, just don’t get any of this,
0 -
@Mary_Scope just replied not sure where it’s gone x
0 -
the £100 per week is going into my bank account and is showing as appointee as his official appointee pays this money into my account per week from my sons PIP
0 -
I'm sorry to hear your son experienced such awful bullying @Dynamisante. That sounds like a such an incredibly stressful situation for both of you to go through. Did you end up filing a complaint with the independent living provider or local authority?
Your reply got stuck in our spam filter, sorry about that! It happens sometimes but you didn't do anything wrong😊
0 -
@Mary_Scope not sure how to file a complaint, apparently the police were involved and according to my son the staff did nothing about the situation, but I’m not sure as I haven’t seen any paperwork relating to it, do you think I should call his support worker there ? To find out more about what was actually done, my son has learning difficulties and doesn’t really want to talk about it, he was very happy living there until all this happened.
0 -
It's worth giving your support worker a call if it brings you some clarity and peace of mind @Dynamisante. Sometimes getting answers can make a big difference when things feel uncertain😊.
If you ever feel like you need to take things further or highlight how things have been handled, here is some information on how how to complain.
No pressure at all to go down that route unless it feels right for you. How are you feeling with everything today?
0 -
I hope it is okay to add; while your son giving you money to contribute to the cost of him living there doesn't need to be reported to UC, you do need to let UC (and council tax, separately) know that he is living with you @Dynamisante.
0 -
@Emilee thank you for your post, I didn’t know this, should I put it on my journal?, reference council tax my ex has always paid this (the full amount, no reduction even though I have lived here alone for the past 6 years) plus he still pays the house and buildings insurance, as we are still both on the deeds of the house, the house is paid for but I pay all the other utilities in my own name, I only receive UC and LWCRA
0 -
Yes put it on your journal or report it under the 'change of circumstances' and 'other people that live with you' section.
Council tax is handled separately and you'd need to contact them directly if any circumstances have changes.
0
Categories
- All Categories
- 16.4K Start here and say hello!
- 7.7K Coffee lounge
- 122 Games den
- 1.8K People power
- 189 Announcements and information
- 25.8K Talk about life
- 6.2K Everyday life
- 437 Current affairs
- 2.5K Families and carers
- 888 Education and skills
- 2K Work
- 630 Money and bills
- 3.8K Housing and independent living
- 1.2K Transport and travel
- 680 Relationships
- 1.6K Mental health and wellbeing
- 2.6K Talk about your impairment
- 885 Rare, invisible, & undiagnosed conditions
- 949 Neurological impairments and pain
- 2.3K Cerebral Palsy Network
- 1.3K Autism and neurodiversity
- 41.7K Talk about your benefits
- 6.2K Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- 20.6K PIP, DLA, ADP & AA
- 9.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 5.4K Benefits and income

