Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Personal Care at College - Advice Needed!

libbytlibbyt Member Posts: 30 Courageous
Hi Everyone

I need some help!!! My son is due to go to college in September and the college says that they have no staff to take hime to the toilet or give him his lunchtime pill. He has cp and is a wheelchair user. I've spoken to Social Services and they are not being helpful either unless he is severly disabled! Surely my son cannot be denied further education because he needs help going for a wee?
Any advice?


  • ScopeHelplineScopeHelpline Member Posts: 209 Courageous

    Your son could contact Scope Response and ask for a referral to the Scope Regional Worker who covers his area (call 0808 800 3333 or email [email protected]). The Regional Worker might be able to offer him some advice.

    Alternatively, seek specialist advice from

    Forums Moderator
  • kingboy25kingboy25 Member Posts: 57 Listener
    Hi Libby
    Hopefully you will get replies from people with more up to date information than me but here goes.
    Does he have a statement which includes toileting and medication if so I think it has to be continued at college. Have you spoken to the senco at his school. Has this been discussed at any transfer meetings at his school. My son's school were so helpful when he came to transfering to college but that was ten years ago and I realise things change and not always for the better. Are there any other colleges in your area where his needs will be met.
    What part of the country do you live? Perhaps if you post your area there might be someone in your area who has already been down this route
    Best of luck
  • AnaAna Member Posts: 2
    Dear Libby
    My name is Ana. My family and I come from Spain but we have been living in Washington DC area for 11 years. Our oldest son has cerebral palsy. He is 21 years old. He is in college. We decided to move to the US because of him. He didn't have many educational opportunities in Spain. America is a wonderful place for people like my son. Life is hard for them but at least, if you fight, you get what they deserved.
    I can not believe that your country doesn't provide your son the services that he needs to function.
    i hope you resolved the problem. Please, respond my email when you can.

  • AnaAna Member Posts: 2
    I can't believe your country doesn't address your son's needs.
    did you resolve the problem?
    if not, you should find a good lawyer and sue them
Sign in or join us to comment.