walking unaided :D — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

walking unaided :D

ambia90
ambia90 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hi i had to share this with you all!!!
my daughter has spastic cp has always used a kaye walker, botox injections, physio daily and splints!
surprised everyone and walked all on her own unsupported for 6steps!
im soooo proud never expected her to be able to do this!!

Comments

• imogen37
    imogen37 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
    Hi

This is really and truly wanderful news!!!Well done!! Can imagine how happy you are that she has finally done it! What do you think was instrumental for her being able to walk independently?

x
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    OMG!!! That is so fantastic - you must be over the moon!! Can I ask how old she is? My little one is 2 and a half and has quad CP - he's got the stepping motion and can weight bear and walk with help but scissors unless we slow him down and help him place his feet. Not entirely sure if he'll manage walking unaided but whatever is possible for him will happen (he's a very driven little boy) and if it's not possible then we'll help him come to terms with that. Tom has an able-bodied twin so can get a bit frustrated sometimes.

Send our love and congrats to your daughter - she's a very clever girl!

Maria x
  • ambia90
    Haven't been on here in a while. The thing that has helped my daughter is the botulinum (Botox) injections she has them every 6months. When she 1st had them she was able to stand and walk with help from a Kaye walker and endless physio. We were at the hospital about 2weeks ago for some more injections, consultant is very pleased she's started walking unaided. Very determined little girl always has been. It brought me to tears when she did it and she's extremely pleased of herself. X
  • ambia90
    My daughter is 6 years old a tip toe walker has to have splints to prevent this 'w' sits also scissors as she walks. I never expected to see the day she walked unaided came as a massive shock. I have one proud girl and proudest mum in the world. :D x
  • Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Its lovely to read your comments, and well done to your children for everything they achieve.

I was born in 1962, and diagnosed with CP at 8months. My parents were told to leave me at the hospital, as I was unlikely to ever be able to walk, talk, feed or dress myself. They told them to go and get on with their lives, and they would take care of me.

Thankfully, they ignored the hospital advice and brought me up to be a very determined fighter. I am now 50 yrs old. I have led a full and active life. I was able to walk by the time I was 3, unaided by 6yrs. I had to attend a special school, and went on to a college for disabled, but I left there with qualifications and held down a 'normal' job out in the big wide world. I married, and have lived an independent life. Yes, things are getting a little difficult now I am getting older, but I think that goes with getting older for most people. Unfortunately due to ill fitting footware and orthotics I am spending more time in my wheelchair at the moment, which is playing havoc with my back and sciatica. But, hey ho, I am still smiling.

Dont give up on your little ones. Those of us with CP learn very quickly to adapt, and although things might look very difficult and awkward to you, its 'normal' to us, we know no different.

Best wishes to all of you,

Karen XX
  • Nuala Watt
    Nuala Watt Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    That is wonderful - I'm so pleased for you! All best Nuala

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.