CP affecting sleep — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CP affecting sleep

Tash026
Tash026 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
edited August 2016 in Cerebral palsy
I have moderate spastic diplegia (a form of cerebral palsy). As well as having tight muscles in my lower body, I also tense up quite easily and find it difficult to physically relax.

I get lots of very vivid dreams at night sometimes they include a lot of negative emotions saddness, anger, fear. Along with this I clench my jaw at night.

I wake up very tired because I have not had enough deep sleep and pain around my jaw, with associated headaches and nausea. The tightness in my jaw muscles also cause me to feel unbalanced.

What could help my conditions? For an example would supplements and or biofeedback work with someone with a damaged nervous system? If I dreamt less would I brux less?

I would like to find ways to help which are not medication, as I just think they cause a load of other side effects. I am on 10mg of citalapram, as I was getting anxious about all the above. Could this be having a negative effect on my sleep?

If anyone could please help I would be grateful.

Comments

• AmandaDawson
    AmandaDawson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Therapeutic (subthreshold) electrical stimulation, also called neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NES), pulses electricity into the motor nerves to stimulate contraction in selective muscle groups. Many studies have demonstrated that NES appears to increase range of motion and muscular strength.
    Threshold electrical stimulation, which involves the application of electrical stimulation at an intensity too low to stimulate muscle contraction, is a controversial therapy. Studies have not been able to demonstrate its effectiveness or any significant improvement with its use.
    Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Some children have cerebral palsy as the result of brain damage from oxygen deprivation. Proponents of hyperbaric oxygen therapy propose that the brain tissue surrounding the damaged area can be

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.