Disability walkers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability walkers

Options
Scaife26
Scaife26 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and my first post to any forum, my son has cerebral palsy and is 21 months old, I was wondering if anybody has a disability walker for their child with cp, my little boy can't sit stand or walk on his own but loves to go in the baby walker and run around, we have a physiotherapist but she is dead against any form of walker she wants him to sit down all day but this frustrates him and he gets upset, I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation and what you did about it I am thinking of going to a private physio for him and seeing if their opinion is different so they can refer us for a disability walker personally I think this would help him loads but the physio just won't budge.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• kingboy25
    kingboy25 Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    Options
    Hi
    I was a foster carer many years ago for a little girl with C.P who attended a special needs nursery. Many of the children at the nursery had C.P and the nursery believed that children learned a great deal by exploring so almost all spent some of their lunchtimes trying out different types of walking frames. My little one brought home a larger version of the baby walker. She had to wear a corset to start with to keep her upright and was so thin she had to have air rings in the walker , but ooo how she enjoyed poking her nose into things. So I don't agree with your Physio.
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Options
    Hi lovely

We found the same with our physio - my little boy is 2 and a half now and we had to wait until he was 2 before the physio ordered a walker for him. We had already bought a second hand one on eBay by then as Tom was so frustrated. He's a twin and just wanted so badly to be up and about like his sister that he had started biting her when she got too close. Tom's walker is the Rifton Pacer - it's got lots and lots of support (a chest support, a sling seat between his legs so he won't fall out if he relaxes his legs and supports to rest his forearms on so he can push his upper half upright. He's gone off using it at the moment - it's big and heavy and he can't get close enough to explore things properly but the physio insists that he needs something with that level of support. I think he'll be encouraged to use it more now that he's started playschool and he can see that with it he can follow the other kids around. He uses a standing frame a lot too.

Have a look at the Pacer - it might be just the job. I got one 2nd hand for
  • Scaife26
    Options
    Hiya thanks for your reply I didn't no if it was just me but I don't agree with her either, she basically wants him to sit all day and lose any independence he has, I'm thinking of asking for a second opinion before I go private. I have seen disability walkers online which I will ask her about these have harnesses which will help keep him upright aswell, he loves chasing the cat and pulling my washing off the clothes dryer and to go from this to been upset all day because he can't move anywhere is awful. Thanks
  • Scaife26
    Options
    Hi maria thanks so much for that I never thought of eBay but I will definitely have a look now, the one you describe sounds really good and just what he needs, I think I will get one second hand if the physio won't budge.
    Thank you

Claire

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.