Lightweight child’s bike — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lightweight child’s bike

Options
FRoggle
FRoggle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

I'm new here. My son has asymmetric spastic quad cp and his birthday is at the end of May. We bought him a bike from Halfords last year but it's too heavy - he can only pedal for a minute or so before we have to push (even on flat ground) and his feet constantly slip off the pedals, more so his left foot than his right because of his GRAFO.

For his birthday this year we want to try to rectify the bike mistake (he always so upset when we go out on the bike and also sad that it's sitting in the hall barely used) - does anyone know where we can get a lightweight kid's bike suitable for his needs? I've had a look for special needs bikes for children but it seems to be mainly trikes rather than bikes (although he will still need stabilisers) and there is no pricing info on any of them. I've also struggled to find stockists for the special needs bikes. What we really need is something really lightweight, with those cage things over the pedals to stop his feet slipping off and a very low cross bar.

Can anyone help?

p.s. if a special needs bike is the only way to go, does anyone know if any charities offer help with funding? I've had a look at Whizz Kidz but they only offer funding for trikes.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.