Hi xx I am 16 and i have a mild form of spastic diplegia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi xx I am 16 and i have a mild form of spastic diplegia

Options
zoe555
zoe555 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I am Zoe and I am 16,
This is my first post on scope! I have had a very mild form of spastic diplegia all of my life. I look completly normal, apart from my size. I am slightly smaller then most people. Since the day I first walked, I have walked on my tip toes. This effects the muscles in the back of my legs, restricting my growth. I am 146cm tall and have been told that this is going to be my final height. I used to let my height get to me, but now I couldn't care less. My size is what makes me, me. I have not let my condition get in my way, and have taken part in various volunteering activites and have even set up a small bakery bussiness where I sell cakes to friends and family. I get slight discomfort now and again in both my legs, feet and knees but this does not limit things that I can do. I am going to college next year and I am really looking forward to it. I am also looking for a part time job as I have now got 12 weeks off due to study leave an the summer holiday. In the future I am hoping to become a midwife. I am so glad that I have reached the height of 146cm, as it has been my goal to Go Ape, which I am going to on friday to celebrate my 16th birhday. I hope this post will show you that you don't have to let your condition get in your way of what you want to acheive! xx
Thank you
Zoe xxx

Comments

• rcwallace22
    rcwallace22 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Options
    Hi Zoe ,

I have cerebral palsy too . I'm launching an online support group called living positively with cerebral palsy . That's the sort of thing that would suit the blog posts.
    If you want to take a look - http://livingpositively.healthunlocked.com/
  • LilyW
    LilyW Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    Youu dodon'ty know hohw greayt ooit is too hhhave another ppersonn mny age oooojn the fffffforum; I have bbem on for a few moonhbt s but untiil now, there haven't been any otthher disabled teennwagers on here. I can't type very well bbut if you read mmyb post entitled 'me' in 'my life' whichh wwas typed for me yyou will see whwho i am aannd youu canan rep;ely to that
    Lily xx
  • EttieEllen
    EttieEllen Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, just saw your post and thought I would reply. I'm 16 nearly 17 and have mild CP too. I used too walk on my toes but I had tendon surgery a few years ago which now means I can walk on my heels. However my legs are still pretty weak (especially my ankle and calf muscle), and I struggle with walking long distances as I find it so tiring. Basically most people don't majorly notice my CP though, except from a slight limp and sometimes my hand controls not great! Like you I'm pretty small, I reached 5 ft a few years ago and now have just stopped growing. Apart from my younger brother who has more severe CP, I don't know any other people with CP. Mostly I try to lead an active and 'normal' life, but sometimes I do struggle (especially not knowing many people with CP who know what its exactly like). I recently had to quit a summer job I had because standing for 9 hours straight was too much. That set me back a bit, but I have decided to be more open about my condition to try and help myself and others as well. Hope you enjoy your long summer, I loved it when I finished school last year haha. And good luck for college next year, at first it was a bit hard to get used to but now I love it (I'm doing childcare and English lit and language now to become a teacher). Thanks, Ettie xx
  • removals24
    removals24 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hello! I admire you for being brave though you have cp but you positive outlook in life. Keep that positive attitude as you continue to live normal life. Actually, your name is fitted to your character. Zoe in Greek means life.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.