Stairgate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stairgate

Options
SJB
SJB Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi
We need to put a stairgate on the bottom of our stairs to prevent my 8year old daughter who has severe learning difficulties, going up the stairs. Can you recommend one. The higher the better. We had a kiddiguard one which contracts and has nothing to step over. However it keeps tearing either with her pulling at it or my son and friends climbing over it. I'm worried about having something to step over for safety reasons.

Comments

• BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Hi SJB, I'm assuming your query is for me!!! I'm not sure about particular makes of stairgates but I noticed that in the tips sections someone recommends dog gates since they are higher than child gates.
    I have seen gates that are properly fixed to the wall and also have a complex clip to enable them to be opened and closed by adults (or big brothers!) but not by the person that you are trying to keep downstairs! I think Mothercare do a good range.
    It might be worth also posting in the general forum where more people will see your message - someone out there might have a good idea!
  • mazzym
    mazzym Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hello

we used to have the same problem but at the top of the stairs, my son used to come down in the night and turn the gas cooker knobs on!
    we couldnt find anything at the time higher than a regular toddler stair gate, so my husband made his own using two sheets of mdf screwed together and hinged onto a baton on wood, with another baton of wood on the other side of the wall to bolt it onto.

An easier option now is that I do know of a tall stair gate which you can purchase from this website:
    http://www.wessexsleepcentre.co.uk/safetygates.html

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.