Violent behaviour — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Violent behaviour

Shirl
Shirl Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Andrew is 9 now and it really really hurts when he hits and bites and hair pulls. Nothing seems to work. He has learning difficulties amongst other disabilities. I am finding it very hard at the moment

Comments

• Jo_B
    Jo_B Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Shirl - That sounds really difficult to cope with. What kind of support are you getting from your Social worker and their team? Do you have other people to support your son so you can get a break?
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    I have a calm down routine with my son, it is a small card I carry with me and have them in the house, to try and get him to breathe and count to ten etc, I also reinforce no hitting by using pictures/symbols and sad face card, dont know if this will help you , I hope things improve soon
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Shirl, I think you and your son need some professional help and support. It's really important to get some strategies in place to try and manage these behaviours or work out why he does them. I can't give you any specific advice since without doing assessments and really working it through I could do more harm than good. Are school supportive? I think you should ask for a referral to the CAMHS team and request advice from the Clinical Psychologist (school or GP can do it). As the others have pointed out you need some support for yourself and you need to discuss some respite with your social worker. If all these professionals are "too busy" and have long waiting lists - try pester power, they will see you to help eventually.
    It might also be worth looking at the challenging behaviour foundation's website http://www.thecbf.org.uk/ - for advice, guidance and support.
    I hope you find some help soon. Keep in touch and although I can't give advice there are many other lovely people in the forum who have been through similar situations and are willing to help.
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    Hi Shirl how have you been getting on, I hope you have made some progress with reducing the biting and hairpulling, I know how hard it is, it seems to be mum who gets all this, I know I do, I am sure he does not mean to hurt you and just remember he loves you no matter what happens.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.