disabled due to cancer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disabled due to cancer

adamsdad
adamsdad Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi my name is adam and my father recently became disabled. after having a sarcoma in his left leg he was left no choice but to have a dis articulation of the hip left leg amputation.The easiest way for me to put my question is that i need advice on my first port of call to get him help he is entitled to.he has been home since the 27th december 2014 and all we have had regarding aftercare is physio visiting daily, a temporary wheelchair and ramps and a commode.should any official bodies have been in touch with us by now or is it down to us to inform someone of our needs for things like benefits, mobility,carers,adaptions etc.basically if its down to me can someone tell me what departments i need to contact in the right order to begin getting some help for him and my mum whos caring for him 24 7.thank you
adam

Comments

• Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Adam, Sorry to hear about your Dad and I suspect he is finding it difficult to come to terms with his amputation. It can be very difficult to find out about what you/he is entitled to and where to go to get services and information. I think the easiest course of action would be to ring the Scope Helpline. It is a Freephone number 0808 800 3333. They can tell you what benefits you and/or your dad may be entitled to as well as where to go for different services such as looking at your dad's care needs and where to go for equipment or even just local information and support. The Helpline team are very knowledgeable so do give them a ring to talk through the situation. If you prefer to email - helpline@scope.org.uk
    Good luck.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.