Returning to work — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Returning to work

olly65 Member Posts: 1
I've been on the higher rate of DLA for quite a few years..i suffer with osteoarthritis in both hips and knees,i had a hip replacement last year which has helped but i'm still in severe pain and very limited to what i can do but i would really like to return to work (maybe in a call centre) where i'm sat down....Would i lose my DLA,more specifically my Motability car?


  • janine123
    janine123 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Olly65

    DLA (and PIP) are payable whether or not you are working. They are not means tested so earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit. However, starting a job may suggest that your care / mobility needs have changed and could prompt a reassessment of your benefits in which case, depending on where you live you may find yourself being reassessed under PIP (Personal Independence Payment) eligibility which generally has a harsher entitlement criteria to meet.

    However, it is widely considered to be more rewarding to be in work, not just for finacial gain but also for social benefits. Whatever you decide, just make sure that you inform the DWP of any change in your circumstances, including taking on any employment.

    If you were to lose the DLA high rate of mobility, do be aware of the Motability Transitional Support Scheme as this can assist people who lose there vehicle due to being assessed at a lower rate for PIP than they were receiving under DLA.

    I hope this helps. Good luck whatever you decide to do!



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.