Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Children with disabilities being penalised for absence at school
Hello, I currently work at Bobath Children's Therapy Centre Wales which provides therapy for children diagnosed with cerebral palsy. We've recently had many parents experiencing problems with attending appointments at the centre due to children being marked as absent at school when they are brought for appointments (despite this being for medical reasons). This has led to parents either missing therapy appointments or wanting these during school holidays which for many reasons is not feasitble at the moment.
I was just wondering if any parents here had had any similar experiences with their children being penalised for being absent at school despite this being for medical reasons (for example attending medical appointments in relation to their disability). I was also wondering if any one here knew of any campaigns against this at the moment?
Thank you for your help,
- 55.3K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 838 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 269 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 705 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 773 Autism and neurodiversity
- 952 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments