Door entry systems for independent living — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Door entry systems for independent living

farouqtaj Member Posts: 2 Connected
Our son is leaving school shortly and we need to work out a way for him to be able to enter the house safely. He has use of just one hand due to his CP.

We have a standard door with a key but you need to turn the handle and the key simultaneously which he can't do.

Are there any alternatives systems out there?

Being able to enter the house by himself will enable my wife to work as at the moment she has to be at home to let him in.


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hello there,

    Thanks for your question. I hope that the following information will start you off in the right direction.
    You could try something along the lines of a remote controlled door entry system and you can find products like this and explanations of how they work on the following website
    This is to give you an ideal of the products available. You may wish to have a good shop around and get as much advice about the best possible system for your household and one that your son would be able to use easily and one that offers you a good level of security.

    I hope this helps and good luck!

    Best wishes
  • Hector Minto
    Hector Minto Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Hi there. You should be referring your son to the local environmental control service (part of the NHS in England). They have a duty to adapt your home for electronic assistive technology and a budget to provide home controls. Often door mechanisms are not funded but the control mechanism for the door is. It then comes down to social services to fund other parts (or you pay privately). My best advice would be to call someone like Steeper Group or Possum Controls who will direct you to your local NHS provider. Feel free to email me if you get nowhere - hector (dot) minto @ tobiidynavox .com
  • farouqtaj
    farouqtaj Member Posts: 2 Connected
    we eventually decided to have the Yale key free lock fitted as this most closely matched our sons requirements.
    He can use a key fob to unlock the door and then turn the door handle down and push the door open.

    An alternative was to request an adaptation grant from our local council. We did this for the disabled toilet and wetroom. Its a lengthy process involving an occupational therapy assessment and then they place you on a (long) waiting list.

    We needed the solution implemented before September so decided not to go via the council.

    When I spoke to our local council they put me in touch with the supplier of their automated entry systems. Their locks were very expensive compared to the Yale and were over engineered for our needs in that, with their system, there was no need to even turn the door handle.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi there,

    Thanks for coming back to us and sharing with us the product you went for in the end. I think our community members will find this most helpful, I know I did!

    Best wishes
  • JanetM
    JanetM Member Posts: 1
    I've been opening doors one-handed for over 60 years. Most locks do not require you to turn the key and the handle at the same time. When they do, you can usually turn one then do a little pull or push and then turn the other. Otherwise, it is very easy to change the lock on your front door. They are not at all expensive and easily available in DIY shops. All you need is a screwdriver. I'm sure the questioner's son would be able to do it himself.
  • ben5793
    ben5793 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    hi how can i get this product look very helpfully to my daughter i don't live in UK 
    But i can email them to be send  thanks 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ben5793, it might be best to speak with the company directly by visiting their website here, to see if they can assist. They also have a help and support page here. Best of luck!
  • newborn
    newborn Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    @JanetM is right.  Even the general population can get the ordinary locksmith to advise.    I had one once where the door had a lever handle plus a deadlock. The locksmith 'reverse fitted'. 

     I could leave the house, pulling the door shut, then lift the lever, then put the key in and turn it. ( The locksmith also made sure she gave me a key with a big chunky end to turn, but there are extra add ons you can buy, or just a small pair of cheap pliers would give all the grip you need.  )

     It was very important to remember invariably  to use the key to lock myself out of the house, not keep the old fashioned yale lock habit of just slamming the door shut behind  me!

     Coming in, again it was two separated actions to get in, then I did two separate actions again on the inside. 

    However, I was living alone.   I  always just left the keys inside the lock to give me a visual confirmation the door was securely locked.  (And make it easy to find the keys!)  I don't know if another person would have found a problem getting in after me.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.