Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hi, my name is wordsmithsteve!
In 2012, I contracted meningitis. I fell into a semi-conscious state, and when I became fully conscious, found that my spinal cord was damaged at the T4 level. Told I may not walk again, and if I did, it would be "well enough, and at the very least would be in a wheelchair for at least a year. However, I was well enough to walk with a cane after 6 months. Over the last three plus years, I learned all spinal cord injuries are different, but many of the experiences are the same. I am extremely grateful for the amount of my recovery. In 2014, I published a book about my recovery titled, Toe Up to 10K, which won the Gold Medal in the 2015 Readers' favorite Book Awards in the category, non-fiction, inspirational.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 698 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 749 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.