Escalator Boarding Problem — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Escalator Boarding Problem

Stayce
Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
I have right sided hemiplegia and have had a nasty fall recently and am now having trouble boarding an escalator that is going downwards. I have always not found this easy, but managed out of shear determination, but now I am avoiding them them altogether through fear I guess. Even got to the top and panic set in - so took the stairs! (and there were a lot of stairs) Has anyone else experienced this problem? Looking for some inspiration to overcome this ...

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I have a real problem with escalators in particular ones that are going down....
    I have diplegia and one side is more affected than the other and my arms are slightly affected. I avoid using escalators wherever possible, and will struggle up stairs rather than use one.... If I really have to, I can go up on an escalator providing I've got someone stood literally directly behind me, but going down is totally out of the question, because I feel like I'm going to fall down (I never have by the way) It's not a fear of heights thing - I've abseiled down one of the tallest buildings in the uk no problem! My escalator problem is that bad, I avoid using the Underground in London because of them....
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited November 2015
    Hi niceboots
    Thanks for your post here. It is so good to hear that I am not alone with this problem. I too do not think it is a fear of heights either. I suspect it is a sensory/coordination problem for me. Because we have to board a downward escalator on the right (so as to conform with society's rules :)) With right Hemi this is my weakest side that has limited sensory input to moving steps and rail. It certainly also doesn't help these days that everyone boarding these things has headphones on and are looking down at a phone :) I will have to keep persevering as I don't drive so have to use the underground alone a lot for work, outings and hospital appointments.

Any tips welcome.

Best wishes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.