Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Direct Payments

7Elen7Elen Member Posts: 7 Listener
I am looking for some advice regarding direct payments.

Any ideas were I can find a carer/ befriender for young adult? What should I say to attract someone? And what can you spend the direct payment money on?

Thank you
kind regards


  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    edited November 2015
    Hi Elen,

    Scope in Lancashire has a service providing care at home to children (up to 18) and adults. If the situation with employing a carer doesn't change, you may need to consider getting an agency in to cover your son's care until you can find a permanent replacement. It might be worth having a chat with our Lancashire service to see if they can help and whether they cover your area. http://www.scope.org.uk/support/services-directory/care-at-home-disabled-adults-preston

    Also try www.disabilityfirst.org in Blackpool, they may be able to help or signpost you to another local advice agency specialising in direct payments.

    You can spend direct payments on any service as long as it meets your son's assessed needs. His care plan should outline these needs. Without knowing more about his assessed needs it's difficult for us to advise on what the payments can be spent on.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me at the helpline if you need some further information.

    Best wishes

  • EmmaEmma Member Posts: 88 Connected
    Do also check out our tips on employing a carer: https://community.scope.org.uk/tips/employing-a-pa
    You could also try the United Kingdom Homecare Association Ltd (UKHCA) http://www.ukhca.co.uk/index.aspx
Sign in or join us to comment.