Childcare — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Kelly01 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Hi, my son is 15 yrs old and has cerebral palsy and cannot walk or talk. I have just qualified as a nurse and work long hours. My husband is at home who is my sons main cater right now. However he wants to return to work and I want him to return to work as he needs social interaction and it will be good for his health. The problem is if we are both working who would look after my son when he comes home from school. I have tried in the past to look for child minders but no one will look after a child who is 15 yrs and who has severe disabilities. Is there any way both parents can work who have a child who is disabled in the Walthamstow area?


  • Veronica_Alumni
    Veronica_Alumni Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi Kelly, I think it would be helpful for you to give us a ring at the Scope helpline so we can talk through the issues with you and your choices. We may also be able to refer you to local services who can support you long term. Some of Scope services offer the kind of help you need but I am not sure what is available in your area at the moment hence contacting us so we can discuss. I also think it would be helpful for you to contact the Social Services team at your local Council and ask for a Care Assessment. Under the new Care Act you and your son are entitled to an assessment of need and it may be that the Local Authority can put childcare in place that would enable you and your son to work. Under the Act the needs of your son and the needs of yourself and your husband need to be taken into account. Again if you contact us we can explain this in more detail. You can speak to one of the helpline team by ringing our Freephone 0808 800 3333 or email [email protected]
    Hope this helps.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Kelly01,

    Has your husband considered working during school hours so that he is home when your son finishes school? That way no child care would be needed and Dad would still have the benefit of working throughout the day.

    Does your son's school have any wrap around childcare which you could use?

    I have a factsheet that I would like to send you about Duties to parent carers and carer's assessments. Could you get in touch with me at the helpline and I'll send it to you?

    Many thanks


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.