Medication for CP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Medication for CP

Who can we go to for prescribing of medication etc and continued care as an adult after paediatric services have finished? Struggling now with trying to get a new medication prescribed that cannot be prescribed by the GP.


  • gingermum
    gingermum Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Sorry - didn't say hello first to everyone, I'm new to this and never been on a forum before, looking forward to sharing stories though, thank you :)
  • Noah
    Noah Member Posts: 423 Pioneering
    edited November 2015
    Welcome to the community,

    It can sometimes be a challenge to get the required treatment and support when you are an adult, especially to begin with.

    One way to overcome this is to ensure that your paediatric consultants refer you to another consultant that deals with Adults and CP, rather than just discharge you.

    If you have been discharged, you will need your GP to refer you to consultants that are specialists in the given area that you need help with. Your GP should have all your records so you be won't starting completely from the beginning.

    It is also worth researching online which consultant you feel would meet your needs. You are entitled to to be referred to any consultant in the NHS although it often a lot easier to get referrals at hospitals that full within your area, as to be referred further a field you normally require some evidence of 'exeptionality'.

    Hope the above is of some help, feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to help you

    Kind regards


  • gingermum
    gingermum Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks Noah, we live quite a way from any big cities so really it is trying to find out who would be the most appropriate person in adult services, our local hospital is quite small. Also we are in Wales and that has caused the first problem as the medication we would like to try can't be prescribed by a GP in Wales but can in England but we will probably have to be referred to a Consultant in England to get it prescribed !! Red tape hey!

    Thank you for your advice .
  • Noah
    Noah Member Posts: 423 Pioneering
    Your welcome - hope you manage to get the treatment you need. Noah


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.