Dream job available, but not sure if I can take it — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dream job available, but not sure if I can take it

newyorkgirl
newyorkgirl Community member Posts: 4 Listener
There is a real possibility that I may be getting a new job in the coming weeks. A job that I really think I would be good at and one I know would really enjoy (unlike my current role).
If this new job did happen, it would have to involve me moving from my home in Merseyside to London. Moving away doesn't really bother me too much as I would come home at weekends, but what I am really concerned over is finding accommodation that is suitable for me and affordable. I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta and I am a wheelchair user (manual), so I would need accommodation that is wheelchair accessible, particularly the bathroom (I think a wheel in shower would be too much to hope for). I wouldn't want to be too far away from the office if possible as it could mean I push into work as I can't drive. I know that the nearest tube station to what could be my new work is fully accessible as I have used it very successfully when visiting friends in the same area, but I don't believe there are many other fully accessible stations within the area. I don't know how viable it would be getting taxis to and from work. I currently get access to work costs getting to my current job at home, I don't know if that would still be an option.
I have done a little research at flats to rent within the area, nothing seems to be suitable in terms of access and now I don't know what to do. I really want to take this job if it got offered to me, but I don't know how viable it is that I can overcome the difficulties that I will have with accommodation and getting to/from work.
Any advice from people who may have done a relocation would be most appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey newyorkgirl

First of all, congratulations on the pending job offer!

Once you get the offer, get in touch with A2W straight away to let them know so you can get the ball rolling with them.

In terms of tube stations that are accessible, this map should be useful:
    http://content.tfl.gov.uk/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf

Also I am led to believe all london buses are wheelchair accessible these days? Check it out with transport for london to be super-sure. More info here: https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessibility/wheelchair-access-and-avoiding-stairs##on-this-page-2

In terms of accommodation...
    A lot depends on what sort of accommodation you are in at the moment (eg social housing, private rented, own home), and what you are looking for. eg do you want to buy or rent, and if rent, from whom?

It is notoriously tricky to move into an area when you are looking for council properties, as you'll probably be low need on their priority list, but it's probably still worth exploring with them to see if they can point you in the direction of local listings. Also - will you be requiring support services via the council once you're down in London? It may be worth getting the ball rolling with that too if so.

If you are looking for private rented accommodation you can try
    http://accessible-property.org.uk
    and
    https://www.thehouseshop.com/accessible-properties

If you are in council housing in Merseyside or private rented but have landlord permission, you could try http://www.council-exchange.org/home-swap-process

Also it would be worth finding out if there are any local Disabled Persons Organisations in your desired area who can recommend accommodation. Scope has a service directory on their website which includes DPOs that have chosen to affiliate to Scope: http://www.scope.org.uk/Support/services-directory#panel-map

(you’ll need to ensure the ‘information’ service type is selected from the drop-down menu.)

If there isn’t anything on the scope website, Turn2Us have an advice finder that might yield more results: http://advicefinder.turn2us.org.uk/

If you are interested in buying a property, have a look at http://www.mysafehome.info/ and http://www.helptobuysw.org.uk/Data/ASPPages/1/30.aspx

You could also have a hunt for adverts from landlords for rooms available in accessible properties, or tenants looking for housemates in an accessible property - might be a good way to make a few local connections whilst you wait for a place of your own to become available!

The other option is to pursue a Disabled Facilities Grant through the council if and when you are able to find a home that isn’t, but could be made accessible with improvement works, although this would certainly be a risky route to take as there aren’t any guarantees and there are often long waits.

Hope this is useful... Congrats again about the job. Wishing you success, satisfaction and happiness in your new role.

All the best,

-B x
  • newyorkgirl
    Hi Beth,
    Thank you for the reply. I hope to know more about the possible new job by the end of the week, I cannot tell you how much I want this to come off. Everyone who I have told about has said it is the ideal post for me, so fingers crossed there is an offer soon.
    I have started to make some enquiries with local letting agents to see if they have anything suitable. My main concern is the bathroom, I have a wheel in shower at home now, which is great as I just transfer on to the pull down seat from my wheelchair. I doubt many properties will have anything like this in, but as long as I could maybe find a property with a bathroom that was big enough for my chair to fit in I could maybe purchase a bath seat and use that, I would prefer shower access but beggars can't be choosers.
    I'm looking at renting at present as obviously relocating is a big step and I may not be happy being away from home or with the job, I doubt it but you never know so I think for the short to medium term at least, if I did get the job, renting is the best option for me
    I will look at the links you have provided as well. The accessible station map is good point to start as I maybe able to find another step free station on the same line as where the office is based which like I said is definitely step free as I used it without assistance only a couple of weeks back. I don't think I need anything much in terms of support once I got down there, I don't have anything like that in place at Home now, I try to be as independent as I can be whilst I have the chance to be.
    Thanks again for the advice, you have given me a little more hope of this relocation could actually be a reality as I was losing hope over the weekend.
    Best wishes,
    Xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    No worries. London is a pain at the best of times for housing but people do manage it so stay positive! I really do wish you the best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on!!
    Bxx
  • newyorkgirl
    Well, I have been offered the job, it is my dream job too. I just don't think I can accept it as I can't find any accommodation where I need it to be. I have enquired about a couple of flatshares in the area, one would be ideal if that came off as it's in the next block to where my friend has a flatshare, so I wouldn't be so on my own when I moved down from Liverpool and it would make my sometimes overprotective family feel less worried as they know my friend would be so near to help me if I ever needed assistance.
    I have even emailed some of the student accommodation places that are practically opposite the office to see if there is anyway they could rent out of their rooms to me, which I know is highly improbable but I thought it was worth asking, you don't ask, you don't get!
    There is an offer of being put up in a hotel for a period of a month so I could start the job and look for somewhere to live, but I don't know if I can accept the job on this basis in case nothing is found that is suitable and affordable in that time.
    The thought of having to turn down this job offer is heart breaking as it is all I have wanted to do for the last few years, but I really don't know if I'm going to have much choice but to not accept it :-(
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    Hi @newyorkgirl - did you accept the job? We'd love to know how you're getting on.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @newyorkgirl I know it has been quite a while but I came across your post and wondered how things went for you?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.