Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
Hi, my name is bethanmorgan3!
I've joined the scope community because I've been a young carer my entire life, I am now 21 and reaching out to this community. My dad has a very rare degenerative neurological condition and hence has got progressively worse throughout my life - when I was younger we would describe it as 'bad legs' but now we see it as much more and he is now in a motorised wheelchair and the smallest of activities exhausts him. It's a struggle to know what to do for the best and recently I've been wanting to reach out to people to see any tips or advice they could have regarding how to help him. He doesn't leave the house unless it's for an appointment or occasionally for a meal or a trip somewhere. He says he's content with that but it breaks my heart and he refuses to do anything about it. He enjoys reading and I've tried to suggest online book clubs or anything that will allow him to communicate with people other than me, my mum and my sister but he won't and I don't know what to do for the best.
- 48.1K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.8K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 608 Work and employment
- 509 Education
- 926 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 903 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 236 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 573 Chronic pain and pain management
- 631 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 681 Autism and neurodiversity
- 814 Mental health and wellbeing
- 282 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.