finances in supporting living — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

finances in supporting living

bubba Member Posts: 1
Do providers have the right to look at bank accounts of service user even though the bank account is a joint one with someone else who does have capacity e.g. relative


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hello Bubba,

    Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. Do you still need some information on this subject?

    It depends on who the provider is to start with, I'm guessing this could be a care provider or housing provider? I think you will find that yes they can look at the joint account even if that person has capacity.

    There is a way around this though and that would be to keep the joint bank account if you wish and then have two separate accounts for each joint account holder. That way you have the joint account for the money going in and then any joint bills can come out of this account. Anything left over can be split and paid into the separate accounts, this would separate the finances down and make it easier to work things out. It would make it easier to see what disposable income the service user is left with after all priority outgoings have been paid.

    A quick example of this can be in a case where Mum/Dad has a joint bank account with their disabled adult child. All the money coming in goes into the joint bank account. Mum/Dad opens 2 new accounts (or 1) and transfers disposable income into separate account for their child.

    It's a bit complicated but worth it in the long run if it makes the finances easier to understand and ensures that the service user doesn't miss out on any help.

    I hope this is helpful, do get in touch if there's anything else I can help with.

    Best wishes
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Nicely put, a lot of parents take control of their disabled child’s finances by putting it down n their own account and not spending it on their own needs but having a second account in the disabled persons name with you as the sigutrure for that account will show what funds the disabled person has and there is know need to look at your personal accounts.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.